Aluminum hotshot trailers?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by PowerWagon, Feb 3, 2013.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Sorry, my bad.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    How would you get the car up top, Have the bed lift like a roll back? You don't have any pics of the sterling's do you?

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Yeah the main deck lifts up and meets the upper rack, I have to look around, I have some pics, but I don't know if I have anything on the computer.

5. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2012
    I'd like to see that in action :)

6. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Not one of mine, but you should get the idea,[​IMG]

7. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Same as a roll back right?

8. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Pretty much except the front lower bed hyd, lift up further to meet the upper deck.

9. Mark in Nebraska

Mark in Nebraska Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Nebraska
    Kansas Transit is absolutely correct. It depends on how a company attaches their trailer together. I have been a trailer engineer for a lot of years working with aluminum. Most aluminum trailers are made from heat treated 6061-t6 or 6005a-t61 with a strength of around 40 ksi. (standard structural steel used on 26k or less GVWR is rated at 36 ksi) When you weld across heat treated aluminum, the strength in that area drops by half. Take a look at a Wilson Trailer bull hauler, all aluminum, but fastened together and they live for a long time. Aluminum will handle the weather and the junk they put on frozen roads better than steel, BUT you just have to make sure you build the trailer right. That is why more and more over the road guys are either going to an aluminum/steel trailer or an all aluminum trailer instead of an all steel trailer. Jimmbuds makes a good comment about stake pockets. The stake pockets on aluminum trailers should be thicker and have bigger welds than steel trailers for the simple fact that I explained before. You just need more area when you weld aluminum to make up for the strength in the weld.

Mark

10. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Light Load Member

Sep 29, 2012
    It would be nice if your website showed hotshot trailers, their weights, GVW's, etc.

Even more nice would be if it had prices. For instance, I'd like to stay under 26K for a variety of reasons, and it appears to me that careful selection of trailer, truck, and things that add weight, and you can haul about 11,000 to 13,000. Yet, get a big steel trailer, a crew cab 4500, and run 36000 gross, and you're only going to haul 2000 to 4000 more payload.

11. Mark in Nebraska

Mark in Nebraska Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    Nebraska
    PowerWagon,

The company is updating the site all the time so I will let the computer people know. I don't want to talk much about the company on here because I don't want it to be seen as advertising. Give us a call and we can talk. I like the way you think though. I have seen a lot of guys coming to another company I worked for that built semi-trailers and complaining that the trailers were too heavy. I look at the truck and it should be at the Mid America show trying to win a trophy. 379 Pete, extended hood, massive sleeper and every chrome and light the guy could find. Nice looking truck, but the guy was wanting to get another 200 lbs out of the trailer. Hum, I wonder were we could get that if we looked hard enough?:) What is hard to grasp from some is, the trucks only job is to pull the money making device. The trailer is what makes you the money. Spec out the wrong trailer and you pass up loads. It is easier to pay for an expensive trailer that you can keep moving loads than a cheap trailer that can't find loads and sits. A lot of guys rather put an extra $10,000 into an optioned up truck instead of putting that into a premium trailer that is a couple thousand pounds lighter than a lead sled and can take loads that everyone else has to pass up.

Happy Trucking,

Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.