Am I connecting this hose correctly?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PE_T, Oct 23, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I added teflon tape on the pipe thread, but the hose bolt doesn’t have any rubber or o-ring. Will it leak air? Pictures below.

Attached Files:

jamespmack Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Should be OK. It's a flair fitting.

4. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Flare fitting. No sealant needed. It seals on the bevels.

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    No sealant. Just tighten. Seals on the angle taper, not the threads.

6. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    What everyone else said. You don't need the teflon tape, just make sure it's clean

7. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Seals on the tapered seat. I know it looks sketchy but that tapered seat seals really well. Hydraulics on some construction equipment use a similar style of metal to metal flare seal and they run pressures in excess of 3,000 PSI without leaking. The thread tape isn't needed. Only place you'll need that sealant is on NPT (pipe thread). Best example of NPT on a heavy truck would be the fittings that thread directly into a brake chamber.

8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    They are correct it's a JIC fitting no tape. Now if you need to tape a NPT fitting there is a proper way. If put on the wrong direction it destroys the tape as your thread it together.

Or buy liquid thread sealer.

Rideandrepair, PE_T, Feedman and 3 others Thank this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Never use thread tape where it isn't required. There's a reason they used the fitting they did. Depending on the application (eg., hydraulics, fuel), some small piece of thread tape can come off and block an orifice or create other problems.

D.Tibbitt, Rideandrepair, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    They say when using the tape, don't wrap the first 2 threads to help prevent that. Some manufacturers recommend against using the tape for exactly the reason you stated. Finding those plugged orifices in a hydraulic system can be downright brutal. Especially if it floats around. I had about 14 hours into a manlift one time before I tracked down a floating piece of an o-ring. Dang thing circulated through almost the entire system before I caught it jammed into a check valve lol.

11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yeah, I meant to include that too; that's the way I do it. Having built a lot of specialized equipment over the years, I know your pain. ;)

A potential problem on a fitting like in the op is getting thread tape into the area where the sealing surfaces mate. It doesn't seem like much, but it can cause significant problems if it is being used at its 5,000 psi rating.

D.Tibbitt and PE_T Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.