Am I considered a safe driver?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by 389Trucker, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 389Trucker

389Trucker Light Load Member

Mar 12, 2015
    So this was a random thought that I had. Will companies look at you as a safe driver if your class C is clean? No tickets/accidents for 10 years. Would it make a difference as how your viewed when applying for your first CDL job? Thanks!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Why are you even asking?

If you are a Virgin and a quiet meek church mouse living in a monastery all these years never in trouble for anything There is nothing to worry about.

I don't know you from adam, but I have a feeling you enjoy fast cars, racing, raising hell, running shine and all sorts of other activities not involving work or personal vehicles. TEASE....

4. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    yes and no. It will make it easier on you. But once you get hired they won't know or care. HR is a separate department.

You can afford to be a bit more picky.

I don't think they really care as long as you can meet the minimum requirements. You could be in the same boat as the person with one or two "incidents/infractions" as long as they can insure you (in house or otherwise).

It dosn't mean as much as it should...

389Trucker Thanks this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Class C? They will view you as easily hireable. They won’t view you as a driver until you get paid to truck.

stwik, peterbilt_2005 and 389Trucker Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Clean Class C? It's a step in the right direction as opposed to a Class C with a couple of pages of infractions.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Your driving record is clean but is this because you are a safe driver or simply lucky? I ask this because a clean driving record greases the wheels of getting a CDL and a job. But a dangerous attitude behind the wheel later is not going to do you any good. Im not picking on you. Just giving you the same speech I give other people asking this same question.

x1Heavy, sherlock510 and skellr Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I started out the latter. Took a while (7 yrs I think they used to pull up) Always explaining my 70 Challenger w/383 17 yrs old etc

9. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    I was thinking luck could be it also. Commercial drivers can push 120k+ miles a year. Different ball game when people get a hard-on for a cash cow rolling through town. :D

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    I don’t mean to change the subject or to sound like an idiot... but why do I keep seeing the “regular” license refered to on this forum as a class C? In my part of the world the regular (cars and light truck) license was always class D, and class C was the lowest level of a CDL.

Did things change or does this just vary from state to state?

austinmike Thanks this.
  11. sherlock510

sherlock510 Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Intercontinental.
    I believe in '86 they started to call it CDL (Aand B) Class A for tractor trailer, Class B for busses and trash trucks, C for cars and light trucks. M endorsement for motorcycles.

Rideandrepair and Kyle G. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.