Am I doctor shopping?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Trucks66, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Trucks66

Trucks66 Light Load Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I got a 3 month card from one place. Got on BP meds and went to a second place but didn't like how the nurse took my readings because my feet were off the ground and my arm wasn't on a chair rail, so now I'm thinking of going to a 3rd place. I've called and they said they will let me sit in a chair and use a rail, but is this doctor shopping? The second place I went to, I told them I was on blood pressure pills, so I haven't lied about anything.

Is this ok?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get as many physicals as you want; nothing wrong with that.
    Doctor shopping is when you're trying to hide something to pass a physical.
    My friend did that, but didn't get caught. He was diagnosed as being an insulin dependent diabetic and didn't tell the doctor, so he got a 2 year card vs. being disqualified. He did that for 10 or 15 years until he retired recently.

4. Trucks66

Nov 3, 2017
    Great. Just wanted to make sure.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you're on BP meds, you'll get a 12 mos. card. That's stressful knowing every 12 mos. your job is on the line.

fargonaz and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    I dont see anything wrong with it. Health care is big business. I have always gotten a second or third opinion...

It's no different then going to a dentist that tells me I need two root canals which is big money for the dentist. I'm definitely going to get another opinion to be sure...

Chinatown Thanks this.
  7. Nothing wrong with finding a Dr. Who is on the list and is able to treat you like a person not a $$$$$$.

Dr.( Mills) are are big. Consentra has (320) locations in the USA. So they don't care as long as you pay them.

Just find a Dr. You like

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Doctor shopping is a problem in the narcotic pain medicine side. Usually in mill states where you can hand over 150 cash and get a script in a few minutes. Everything prescribed and filled even if it is one pill or 180 each month is tied to you pernamently in a State Pharmacy Board AND a National Database to detect doctor shopping, diverters, abusers, sellers etc.

If you are given a three month card for BP, That is a warning to go to your regular doctor to FIX THE ROOT CAUSE of the BP problem WITHIN 90 days only. It may be the decision of the DOT doctor not to issue you any more DOT medical cards because you did not fix the BP problem in 90 days.

With that said.

It's common to visit many doctors before committing to something pretty important in life. Just not with pain management in general.

9. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    yes, yes you are doctor shopping, and with out and clipped coupons.....:mad:

Sirscrapntruckalot Thanks this.
  11. Trucks66

Nov 3, 2017
    Just passed and got a 1 month card. First doctor I went to failed me and gave me a 3 month card saying to get it under control. Got prescribed on BP meds and have been using them for a little over a month. Went to second doctor and he said blood pressure is still high. Told him the cuff is too small and I need to be in a chair with a rail. Told me none of that mattered and failed me on the spot after multiple high readings .Just went to 3rd doctor who had me sit in a chair with a arm rail and right sized cuff and passed with flying colors.

Long story short.... Don't just go to any doctor. Some don't give a flying rats ### about you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.