Am I taking the best route to heavy haul and oversized?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Nashville, Mar 2, 2023.

1. Nashville

Nashville Light Load Member

Mar 8, 2022
    I have decided to leave my starter company (Dry Van), and run as a company driver for ATS flatbed, rgn, etc. My plan was to learn as much as possible and move my way up through their program to oversize and heavy haul.

Continued Training
    They run all 48 and Canada
    Allow my pet
    Pay plan
    Offer manual and autos and multiple platform truck

Cons
    Lynx system

If heavy haul and oversize was your ultimate goal would you go with Ats or a different company?

I hadn't really found any negative reviews on Ats that are recent and pertaining to their flatbed division,

FerrissWheel, MIT and cke Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. The Railsplitter

The Railsplitter Medium Load Member

Jan 23, 2023
    "BFE... and lovin' it!"
    For a moment, I thought you were on a run and didn't wanna hit a low bridge, lol... :rolleyes:

4. Bobtail Bobby

Bobtail Bobby Bobtail Member

May 30, 2019
    ATS is a large company that does mostly flatbed and some heavy haul frieght. I called them a few years ago and thier pay was not as much as other flatbed companies. I talked to a former ATS driver and he told me that in a year and a half he only got a few heavy haul loads and all the rest were just low paying flatbed frieght. You may be better off trying to get on with a company that only does heavy haul.

CAXPT and Nashville Thank this.
  5. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    I believe ATS moves a lot of equipment on flatbeds. I don’t believe they have rgns. However, I highly recommend starting small and working your way up. You could look at some heavy haul companies like Keen Transport as they also move smaller stuff you could start with and move up as your skill set develops.
    @Chinatown may could help you out.

CAXPT and Nashville Thank this.
  6. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    ATS has lots of rgns out on the road.

YardMule89, CAXPT, drvrtech77 and 4 others Thank this.
  7. cke

cke Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2013
    Colfax Wi
    ATS is a big heavy haul company.

8. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    ATS has everything from dryvans up to at least 19 axle setups. They might have bigger but I haven't seen it. They are one of the larger flatbed/heavy haul companies in the US.

They have a good system to work a fresh open deck driver up through OD freight so you don't get overwhelmed with something outside your comfort.

I'm sure they are a fine place to work as long as you can deal with whatever systems and rules they have in place. Never worked there myself so I can't give any details on how exactly it works. Just what I've heard from drivers I've talked to.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We had two of their trucks here last summer picking up logging equipment. Company trucks. Both drivers were very professional and knew their way around an RGN. They both spoke well of the company and had been there several tears.

YardMule89, beastr123, CAXPT and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Phoenix Heavy Haul

Phoenix Heavy Haul Medium Load Member

Feb 8, 2022
    Raleigh NC
    We’ll #### I had no idea.
    All I’ve ever seen is ATS flatbeds. Which I do a lot of work for them so it makes sense.

cke, YardMule89 and CAXPT Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Back before 2010, they had a dedicated push truck fleet, to push the bigger Mamoet loads through the Canadian Rockies.

The problem with ATS today is now, they are for the most part, a pretend heavy haul company, like TMC and Renauldo. Tons of handholding and micromanaging. It would take a company driver about a decade to move up the ranks, because they would have him hauling sticks and bricks. You would have to lease in order to get to choose the loads that would help you to move up the ranks. Then when you go heavyhaul, turn in your lease truck and go back to a company truck.

Keen would be a better choice IMO.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.