Am I to old starting a trucking career

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by lovetrucks2446, Aug 22, 2021.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Tomorrow will be exactly 8 months with this company. I’m less than 1k miles away from doing 100k in that time.
    It can vary widely on how much you can get done. Right now it ain’t working out. I’m on a run the company put together as a favor to me. Kinda making up for another that turned bad on me. I was going to visit people in Houston I’ve known since I was 4 years old. I’m 61 now. This run is ending in Houston. Take my time with my friends. Then let them know to get me a backhaul. Well...
    Sat in Childress this weekend. Monday delivery. They didn’t get the info to me. Need to call beforehand. Receiver needs to set up forklift and crew to unload at his home. Now sitting north of Dallas. Waiting to deliver tomorrow. Ain’t getting miles like this. Oh well... that’s trucking.
    Yet... first two weeks of this month. I got 8000 miles. That’s trucking....

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NewBeginnings87

NewBeginnings87 Bobtail Member

Nov 14, 2019
    My first post here was to ask the same question. No way are you too old. My husband had to find a new career at 65. He already had a class A CDL from all his years in the agriculture industry but no OTR experience and hadn't been working in ag for the past 15 years. He's been driving now for about 1.5 years. This wasn't his dream or anything but we're grateful to be making a decent living. Just last week he moved from an OTR flatbed job to a home daily line haul job for an LTL company. We wish you all the best in living out your dream.

spindrift and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I apologize. That last post of mine. Thought I was on my blah blah yadda yadda thread. Don’t know how I made that mistake? Will still let you know how it goes.
    To OP. I’m 61. Started 4 years ago. Reefer is too crazy a schedule. Suggest you look for dry van. Schedule is sane.

Dockbumper and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    I’m late to the party, but just want to point out that, in certain types of trucking your age may actually be an asset.

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    You’re never too old. I’m over 300 and I drive.

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  7. lovetrucks2446

lovetrucks2446 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    philadelphia, pa
    nope! never drove - I did get an offer after graduating but the real estate developer I work for made me an offer that was hard to turn down. I know I'll be starting all over again but I'm ready for the challenge! thanks for all the input...

8. Caceres1949

Caceres1949 Bobtail Member

May 24, 2018
    I’m 72 years old and average a 65-70 hr. work week. Take a 34 hr reset and am back at again. FIFTY SIX YEARS OLD!!! When the day comes, that you fail to appreciate the hilarity of a well- placed Whoopi-cushion. THEN!!! You are old.

Speed_Drums and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Not too old, you’re a year younger than Me. I think 56 is the average age, at least it was just a few yrs back. That’s why the Industries Freaking Out. Future Drivers stay at home in Moms Basement till they’re 30. Older or Mature Folks as they say, are very welcome in this Industry, as are Women and all Minorities. Anyone who’s responsible is needed badly. A smart company will scoop you up quickly. More reliable than the younger generation. Just a fact, Comes with age. Good Luck. You’ll fit right in, with all the different Drivers these days. No exact type anymore. One of the few Industries that pays everyone the same. Instant parity. That’s a good thing. Doors always open.

spindrift and Chinatown Thank this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    [​IMG]

Speed_Drums and N00bLaLoosh Thank this.
  11. lovetrucks2446

lovetrucks2446 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2012
    philadelphia, pa
    That's correct! the real estate industry has done well for me however, I've always wanted a career in trucking, and that is where I want to retire. The industry is being taken over by the micro-managing Millenials.

SteveScott and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.