Am I too old to get back into trucking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by chazbro, Nov 30, 2021.

1. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Maybe it's my imagination, and I hope I'm not reading more into this then I should be.

I drove for Shaffer about 12 years ago for a little ove 5 years. I have a small business that was doing well up until this Covid crap. I never renewed my CDL so today I went and got my CDL physical and then to the DMV and got my permit.

I have put out some applications in with companies that will train to get a CDL. After talking with some recruiters where I believe that they were ready to hire me, I don't get any follow through on their part. I'm 65 years old, feel great and in excellent health.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    Where are you located and what's your interest - regional, OTR or ...? I sure someone here can give you some leads. Chinatown usually pops up with a list ... Wait for it .... Wait for it ...

4. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Plenty of companies will hire you as long as your driving and criminal record are clean and you can pass the medical exam. Nobody cares about your age if you are reasonably healthy and reliable.

nredfor88 Thanks this.
  5. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    Shaffer will take you back in a hurry starting at 64 cpm maybe get up to their 70 with the experience u have

EDIT: sorry I’m not sure now that I realized you said you were out of it for 12 years. But it doesn’t hurt to try with them

6. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I'm 61 and was 59 when I got started. To the best of my knowledge, age discrimination for truckers is seriously non-existent, except for youth (insurance issue).

7. RoadSideDown

RoadSideDown Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2021
    I am older than you and got on with YRC pretty easily, just getting started myself. So far I don’t see any age discrimination. If you can drive and meet the regulatory basics most companies will want you.
    I have found a general lack of motivation to communicate in trucking LOL. Don’t just apply online. Call or visit the local terminals and talk to someone. The recruiter is often at a National office and is the gatekeeper for jobs. But it doesn’t hurt to knock on some doors ether. The terminals are the ones who can tell you if they have jobs in your area and what kind of if more will open up soon. Then keep calling and texting the recruiter.

just because they need drivers doesn’t mean they are organized or communicate well.

ibcalm19 and BennysPennys Thank this.
  8. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, I don't think you are too old, and more than one person got bad news during a DOT exam, and felt fine. Fact is, with the right job, it's a great way for someone who can't sling a sledge hammer anymore, to make a living. Thing is, with so many changes, 12 years ago is ancient history, when it comes to trucking, and be ready for an unpleasant surprise, it ain't what it used to be. If I were you, I'd take my SS and adjust my lifestyle, like I did. I too was old school and got out because it just wasn't the same job. Retire and go fishin', you earned it.

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I am 72 and recently went back to work driving after being off for over 7 years. Do it.

10. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I started at age 50, I’m 54 now. Plan to drive until I literally can’t anymore. We’ve got several drivers 65-75 where I work. They do well. Just make sure you get out and walk, try and eat semi healthy etc.

surf_avenue and RoadSideDown Thank this.
  11. chazbro

chazbro Light Load Member

Sep 4, 2021
    No criminal record, clean license and exam and just got my CDL permit. I'm in the Orland area.

I've tried Stevens and have had a hell of a time getting in touch with them including almost an hour on hold before getting disconnected, and still haven't spoken to anyone.

I won't do driver facing cameras, I won't touch freight, I would love coast to coast (all 48) and prefer longer runs such as reefer. The problem is many companies I would like to go with require you to already have a CDL.

I couldn't get state funding or a grant because they couldn't figure out my income even though I gave them bank statements and profit and loss info. Not only that but this office only works with one school in the area because when I tried to apply to other schools who accepted state funding they said they don't work with that school, something fishy there.

I've called shneider and they said as soon as I get my permit to give them a call which I did, still waiting to hear back from them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.