Am I unhireable now because of accidents?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Tex Trucker, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Tex Trucker

Tex Trucker Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Long story short, I got let go because of 3 accidents in a one year period. None of them were DOT reportable because 2 were in the yard, and the other I didn't get a ticket for, so only my DAC report has the accidents. The first 2 were rookie mistakes early on that did virtually no damage, but I got the hang of it and felt pretty good about my OTR reefer skill level until I hit some black Ice in Oregon and sideswiped a 4 wheeler. Nobody got hurt and the damage to the truck was so slight they opted to not even repair it, BUT.... It was my 3rd accident so adios.

So my question is, is there any chance I can get on somewhere? I'll even do team driving if it can get me back on the horse.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. weirdpuckett

weirdpuckett Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Yeah.....u can....just gotta apply and youll be able to tell by the questions .....just be honest about the accident ....

Rideandrepair and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Sure, you're fine.

5. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    As a matter of fact, some companies will take the fact that you had these incidents elsewhere as something you MOST likely wont repeat as youve MOST LIKELY learned from them......right?

6. weirdpuckett

Jul 14, 2010
    Unless the incidents were particularly out of the "normal" range of commonality in relation to the industry , like say, you accidently dropped a 20 lb bag of your own feces on a car while trying to chuck it out the window at 68 mph.......etc...u should be quite alright...!

7. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    The 2 from the yard i would not put down. I would consider them incidents not accidents. You’ll get a mix bag of emotions here about that comment, but if it’s under $500 in damage it’s an incident not an accident. That’s how it was explained to me many years ago, when i was a wee little lad in my trucking carrer. I without question left any “incidents” of any and all applications.

1 minor accident and no tickets, equals a clean enough record that you’re not applying to bottom of the barrel 2nd chance company’s.

3 accidents, and enjoy working at Western Express.

Bean Jr., Chinatown and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
  9. Snakeschasingcars

Snakeschasingcars Heavy Load Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Depends on how kuch experiance. Less than 1 year? It be hard. Over 1 year not so hard.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Those are not accidents.

Come back with accidents like I have had when I destroyed about 15K in store inventory after I got trapped the last time I had one.

Another was a really close call vs a running teen across my lane when he dropped under my front end as I executed a emergency stop. He's fine, but he will be sure to walk 5 minutes to the nice wide overpass next time.

There are accidents and there are nicky picky problems that create disposible drivers who cannot be hired. But don't worry about that. be truthful and move on. You will find work sooner or later.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    They're cracking down a little, but have more than doubled their pay.
    Probably find something on Craigslist. One former cabbie had a couple dozen of those incidents and found a real good job on Craigslist.

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.