Amazon is at it again

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Jul 1, 2018.

1. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Quite a long article but very interesting insight into the culture of the Amazon Final Mile mentality.

The Day I Drove for Amazon Flex - The Atlantic

If the delivery workforce continues to shift toward nonunionized workers and independent contractors, the industry could go from one where workers can support a family to one where they are making less than minimum wage. That’s what happened in the long-haul trucking industry, according to Viscelli. The average long-haul trucker today makes about $40,000, down from the equivalent of $100,000 in 1980.

not4hire, Ruthless, magoo68 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I wanna see someone get the 40 drivers. Good records that show up every day.
    Can't wait til some of these dead heads roll up to the nice home, twist ankle, let the lawsuits begin against home owner and employer.

shogun, Getsinyourblood, Opus and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    Seems like a knee jerk stop gap to get their products delivered to me.

5. Sirscrapntruckalot

Sirscrapntruckalot Road Train Member

About that whole shop local thing.... I tried that when I first moved down to my sandbar. I now drive up the road to Elizabeth City or Chesapeake va. Local folks down here for the most part charge way to much for a lot of things. We don't have a lot in the way of option when it comes to shopping. No Sams Club, Or this or that, or that other place.

I've tried shopping local, an good lord with the exception of a few places, they cost a heckuva lot more. So now...I go for a drive, or order online if I have to now. Whatever is best for MY bottom line. I still shop local for something things though. Ice Cream(Killer spot, makes their own), other food places, an a couple shops here an there. I'm not going to pay more just because I live here. That's like paying 5 bucks for a gallon of milk here in the summertime, when I know I can it a mile down the road for 2.75

If I can shop local I will, otherwise...someone else gets my business.

Sirscrapntruckalot - YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Dave_in_AZ and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  6. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I agree. I'm not gonna spend a stupid amount of money to support my local whatever.
    If they wanna compete, then so be it.

7. rolls canardly

rolls canardly Road Train Member

Feb 7, 2009
    mt. pocono. pa.
    Look at that thing on the side of the Amazon delivery truck picture.
    You thought it was a smile?
    Don't bend over in front of it.

lagbrosdetmi and not4hire Thank this.
  8. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico

Shopping local actually saves me more than what you can imagine. Family Dollar beats the heck out of all the big box stores for the weekly junk. And food is a real bargin at the Aldi. Yet, the very thought of having to drive in traffic to someplace local must create too much stress for Amazon Customers. We process over 100 packages a day from Amazon in the Condo...because lazy people buy online.

9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    And a local store simply buys from Amazon, has it shipped to their store and puts a markup on it.

Oh, I thought you said local. You actually meant cheap national chains that sell junk. Sure, they are cheaper by hiring mega trucking companies that doesn't actually pay the driver to unload the trailer... Or pennies of they do.

And I've tried food at Aldis. No thinks, Food is the one thing in life I have to do, I'll pay for something that actually has flavor.

10. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    they had on the news by us, you have to give them $10k and they give you a van and uniform, and they did not say yet what they will pay.

Tug Toy and Sho Nuff Thank this.
  11. Getsinyourblood

Getsinyourblood Road Train Member

Jul 5, 2014
    Retired. North Texas
    ^^^^^This^^^^^

The video posted above says you parlay your $10k into 40 vans and 100 drivers. If the economy was in the dumper right now, you might have some luck hiring drivers. The economy where I live has near record unemployment, so hiring dependable drivers will be extremely challenging. And with UPS Brown Car drivers knocking out $75k+ a year, you're going to find 100's of drivers working for less than half that? Right.

With the fog a mirror types they will be hiring, workmans comp and lawsuits will be a given.

The Transportation business looks so easy from the outside, everyone wants a piece of the action.

NavigatorWife and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.