Amazon is at it again

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by SteveScott, Jul 1, 2018.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Like I keep telling my 11 year old. Words matter. Use the correct ones.

See, when talking about businesses, local means a small business 1-5 (or so) loactions owned by the family that lives locally. The term you are looking for is close, in the area, nearby, etc.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Amazon lost $7 billion dollars just in shipping charges last year, and that's with heavily discounted rates through the postal service and FedEx. That should be a good indicator of how little they're going to pay drivers for home deliveries.

4. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    Joke!!

Sho Nuff Thanks this.
  5. stillwurkin

stillwurkin Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2017
    I bet you think bottled water tastes better than well water. ( with a softner in some cases). Aldi is good. Now meat we buy from local butcher. No walmart, Giant Eagle, Aldi or whatever is in your area.

6. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    Sad part is...Amazon is still gonna find some poor individuals who isn't business savy enough to understand that this is a losing cause. Nothing was even mentioned about employee pay. With 100 employee's...I don't see how it's possible to make a profit. It's nothing's but cheap labor. Trying to copy how FedEx operates with Ground...but at a MUCH cheaper rate. At least contractors for FedEx Ground and the Post Office pay decent wages.

Now whether FedEx Ground contractors are ACTUALLY independent contractors or employee's still remains to be seen.

Coover and DustyRoad Thank this.
  7. DustyRoad

DustyRoad Road Train Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico

Words are often misinterpreted. Would the word, " Local " delivery driver mean a company of one to five drivers?

cal/ˈlōk(ə)l/
    adjective

belonging or relating to a particular area or neighborhood, typically exclusively so.

noun

a local person or thing, in particular.

Yet, the subject is about the area! the noun Local refers exclusively to a particular place.

Synonyms and Antonyms of local
    1 a local unit of an organization

The truck drivers are members of Local 349 of the Teamsters' Union.

Local when used in context of area disregards the size of the company.

However, be it the word local has been used by owners of small businesses to describe a relationship with being part if the area, in fact is obliquely unique to the corruption of the English language by use of poetic justice.

8. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Its obvious that millions of packages are deliveried daily locally by contractors, be it a small business or a very large carrier. Miami has lots of highrise upscale Condos home to thousands of tenants and residents. Fed Ex delivers three types, express, ground, and home. USPS delivers 7 days a week and holidays. UPS, DHL and LAZAR come daily except Sunday. But what theses Cave Dwellers don't get is guys delivering Amazon out of personal vehicles like the do in single family residential neighborhoods. The factor is trucks and vans can carry larger and heavier boxes compared to personal vehicles "SUV" that focus on small lightweight packages and mailers. There is a huge difference in quantity of packages handled by the international carriers and the small local businesses.

I believe Amazon has become so popular, that their need far exceeds the handling and delivery capacity currently available.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Just so you know that's not what shopping local means. Going to the local big box store! LOLOL

It means shopping at your local mom and pop stores!!!

joshuapowell61 and spyder7723 Thank this.
  10. DustyRoad

Feb 23, 2011
    Gulf of Mexico
    Soon they may all be gone. I haven't seen a local mom and pop auto parts in years, Auto Zone put them out of business. Surely, there are a few grocery stores but they are supplied by mega suppliers. Very few meat markets down here actually process sides of beef. Beef, Pork and Chicken is mostly a product raised in corporate managed feed lots. Farm raised is becoming too expensive. Alas, the seafood we get is about the only fresh quality that can be purchased right out of a truck on the side of the road thanks to a huge Ocean called the Atlantic only a mile from my home.

Maybe I should consider moving back to Arkansas?

Ha, ha...

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Dude mom and pop type part stores are all over the place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.