Ambulance Wreck

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by GSP ATH, May 31, 2014.

1. GSP ATH

GSP ATH Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    Highways of GA
    Today in Bishop, I worked an ambulance wreck. Three people were injured, a crazy 4 wheeler turned into him causing it to rollover into a ditch. It was surprisingly easy and somewhat enjoyable, it was different than my normal fender bender, fender bender, then two vehicle rollover on I985, it was challenging yet easy.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChefBrianN

ChefBrianN Light Load Member

May 10, 2014
    Michigan and Colorado
    Hope all are ok...almost have to feel sorry for some poor sap that's on a stretcher thinking everything is going to be better, then end ups in the hospital with injuries incurred while on the way there.

4. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    Off topic, but I've always wondered about something. Say you are crossing the street and an ambulance en route to another emergency runs you over. Would that ambulance stop and pick you up, or would it continue to its original destination and call a different ambulance for you?

5. freightrunner

freightrunner Heavy Load Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Georgia
    Also knocked power lines down.

6. ChefBrianN

May 10, 2014
    Michigan and Colorado
    I'm thinking that if they continued on that they would be guilty of leaving the scene of an accident causing serious injury...which in some states is a felony.

7. ipogsd

ipogsd Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    OK, well you would be known to the EMS as a curb runner! And yes they would spare a bandaid for you.

8thnote Thanks this.
  8. A Bug

A Bug Heavy Load Member

Mar 15, 2014
    Sevierville TN
    The ambulance would imediatly change priorities to the new accident if anyone was injured and would have another one dispatched out to the first patient. That was the way we were instructed to do it back when i was an emt.

Luckily that never happened.

8thnote Thanks this.
  9. ChefBrianN

May 10, 2014
    Michigan and Colorado
    Back in 1991 I was at an apartment complex in Altamonte Springs, FL when some guy got shot by the ex husband of the woman he was dating. There happened to be an ambulance there picking up some older lady at another building and we ran over to them and told them they needed to come take care of this guy bleeding to death in the hallway.

They did, but I found out later that they got reprimanded by their company because they went into an area that hadn't yet been cleared by LEOs.

The shooter was convicted of felonious assault less than murder, the victim lived...although he had to walk around several months with a bag of crap taped to his belly and the original woman was taken to the hospital buy another ambulance and released with a swollen/sprained ankle.

10. GSP ATH

GSP ATH Bobtail Member

May 23, 2014
    Highways of GA
    They would most likely stop and help, especially if you need it. They would radio into dispatch to drop the call, so they could route another ambulance.

11. OldHasBeen

OldHasBeen Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2010
    One night at a hospital we saw my father-in-law put into an ambulance, Later he told me.

When the driver closed the back door he assured me, "Coy, just relax, I'll get you there safe."

Between Malvern & Benton, Arkansas the ambulance wrecked in the median, turning over on its side.

Another ambulance came to get him, & the driver of this ambulance told him right before he closed the back door. "Mr Watts, I'll get you there safe & sound."

My father-in-law told him, "That is what the other driver said, can I get out of here?"

Thankfully those in the ambulance only got a few scratches.

Ambulances do have wrecks, I know of one that was racing to the hospital & was hit by a train & killed everyone in the ambulance including the patient who had a heart attack.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.