America is now facing a "food shortage" crisis.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Moose Holland, May 28, 2022.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    If there was a shortage, rates would be higher..

4. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Or maybe the brokers just have an influx of drivers who are ok running for cheap. I tend to think that at times that impacts rates.

5. goga

goga Heavy Load Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Earth..
    Business as usual. Truckers are twisting shipper's arms also when there is an actual demand.

6. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    There is truth in what you say but loads posted to the spot market fell. Loads available and tricks available ratio was unfavorable. Things have picked up though recently.

7. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    It's only because of the blitz and the holiday. I believe the next two weeks will paint a more accurate picture.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    There are over 400,000 new CDLs issued in this country every year. There would be plenty of drivers if the pay and other promised things, like hometime, were what the big companies advertise. The problem is being able to retain drivers. The ATA screams driver shortage, and has been doing so since the 90s, while having an annual turnover rate of 90%. So a company with 5000 drivers has to hire 4500 drivers a year just to maintain their number of drivers. That's just plain crazy, but that's what they have been doing for years. It's their business plan. Train as many as they can, then pays them peanuts and keep them as long as they can. then do it all over again.
    Rates have came down, which would never happen if there were not enough trucks available to haul loads. Prices of everything hauled, by truck rail and ship have increased because of the stupid high fuel costs. Plain and simple.

9. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    Employers are going to have to pay VERY handsomely to lure snowflakes to old-fashioned blood, sweat and busted knuckles. Or, the geeky snowflakes are going to have to invent robots to do that work. We all love our air conditioners in our homes when it is 105 outside. Who wants to build that air conditioner and drive it from the factory to the local Lowe's?

10. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Mexicans ,look on California with their open immigrant policy...

11. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    We already are paying well. It's not enough. A lot of truck drivers, and workers in other "blood and sweat" professions are making more than college grads.

I don't have kids, but from my observation it's a two-way street. We've been lying to them and enabling them. We told them that they have to go to college if they want to make something of themselves, which is not true. We also told them they can be whatever they want to be, which filled their heads with unrealistic fantasies.

OTR trucking definitely isn't for everyone, or even most people. But it's a good opportunity for a young man or woman to save some money. All that money that gets spent every month on rent and utilities can be saved/invested.

Not all truck drivers are poor. That's a rumor that gets spread around by all of those drivers that don't make it past their first year.

The snowflakes are too be expected. That's the inevitable result of living in a comfortable society. Teddy Roosevelt commented way back that people were going to start becoming weak as men flocked to office jobs for the first time.

I talked to an old, retired truck driver who worked flatbed for over 30 years. When I told him about my air conditioning always breaking, he told me he didn't have air conditioning for a lot of years. But now that he's used to having it, he can't go without it.

That's true for me. As long as the AC works in my truck, I will haul AC units. And I do haul those Trane units sometimes. I like those. They are easy to secure and they ride well. They give good miles, too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.