America is now facing a "food shortage" crisis.

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Moose Holland, May 28, 2022.

1. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    My grandpa who has passed on now as of 5 yrs ago started in 1943. I still have his old truck and it has 2 mounted fans in the cab. He said he would buy a large block of ice to sit on the dog house to help keep cool. Then with a water jug one Dixie cup was for drinkin and the next for pouring down the back of his neck. No power steering. When men had big arms from doing work.

In the winter you #### near froze! lol Good times.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    When I went without AC a few days in a Pheonix summer, I have a new respect for those old timers. It was a horrible experience.

When I stopped the truck and walked into an air conditioned truck stop to buy more water, it felt almost disorienting.

And of course I didn't sleep at all. I had to get motel rooms.

My bunk heater broke on time in Minnesota when it got to like -3 so I know what that's like too. It got.... cold. Lol. My water bottles froze.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    For sure, in the summer I think a good bit of drivers would hang a hammock under the trailer for shade and breeze. The bunk was for huddling up in the winter. No wonder they were small so you could contain what little heat you had.

I have some old lanterns that were in place of tail lights in the early early days. You would light them and hang on the back of the trailer. Each stop of course they were already out and you would relight. lol

5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

I remember at my last employer my A/C quit on one of the hottest days of that summer. I was headed west out of Philly on the PA turnpike. Stopped at Valley Forge service plaza, out of hours, middle of the day. That was the plan, stop for a 10, and head for Ohio. But coming out of Philly the A/C quit. It was like 96 degrees and high humidity. Was ok while I was moving.

I pulled into the service plaza around lunchtime, looking for a shade tree to pull under, but there were none. (Why they build places with no trees is beyond me - same with all these cookie cutter houses I see, no trees)

I didn't sleep a wink until the sun went down, and by then the 10 hour break was over. It was horrible.. I gained tons of respect for those that never had A/C.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    There are still plenty of harbor freight tools.

7. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    I can't imagine any mega carrier today without trucks with effective working a/c. Anything less is truly living inside a rolling "cave". This is 2022, you know. I was at the ER last year for heat illness when it was 105 outside my home. I think working commercial truck a/c, depending upon climate, should be federally mandated like working cab heat and defrosting requirements. Any weather condition the vehicle is operated with 80+ heat should be grounds for requiring have working a/c.

8. Northern Nomad

Northern Nomad Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    The frozen north
    Things are fine with me and my family. But, I’m a country boy. I hunt, fish, and grow a garden every year and can a lot of food. Also, there are a lot of local farms in my area that I can buy from. I try my best to rely on nobody, especially the government.
    We do have random “shortages” at the grocery store occasionally. Sometimes it’ll be a certain brand, or an entire item all together, but we’ve always managed to get by.

9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    That was by no means a mega carrier, but they did have 200 or so trucks.

I'm pretty sure there's a federal law that says all trucks must be equipped with factory A/C nowadays. I don't think there's a requirement that says it must work once it leaves the dealer lot though. And I'd imagine there's a bunch of companies too cheap to fix it once it quits.
    This newer equipment is made different, for sure. I started driving in a '95 Ford L9000, and the A/C didn't work. I didn't mind it, running with the windows down and the fan blowing the hot air in the middle of August at all of 18 years old. Didn't bother me a bit. The wind noise didn't faze me. Now, open a window on a newer truck while I drive and the noise drives me nuts. I think the aerodynamics of this newer stuff makes it unbearable to not have A/C

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I just took my brother for lunch. Mexican. They gave us plenty. No food shortage there.

Then we went to the grocery store.

New York's were $7 pound.
    8 piece of fried chicken was $8 ( bit stiff imo )
    Other stuff was about 30% more than a year ago.

But definitely nothing in short supply. Except truck drivers. There's a driver shortage.

11. Val_Caldera

Val_Caldera Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2021
    TARHEEL
    We've been having problems locating Aunt Jemima Cooking Grease/Mud Flap Cleaner.
    I thot I seen it at a T. A. repair shop somewheres and it did smell a bit MMM, MMM, Good yet nasty in the shop, prolly due to the excessive use of Lemony Vanilla Flavored Shoe Shine Polish for shining up Tires (not gud fer cleanin' winders. kinda gums up the view of them Chicken Haulers), but I no recall the exact locality since they (T.A.) be all lookin the same, ya know.
    We Un's bin havin' sum fun prolems finding House Salads at a local Hairless Teeter Grosery store.
    Used to be in a cooler near Otter Salad bits but I came to bleve them salids gone away. Coudnt keep the Otter Salads stocked, it's a durn shame, what's a feeler to do cept feel up the oiler. That's anutter story.
    Haven't seen any Cans of Whoop Arse or Bundles of Joy Hominy Grits in Diesel Flavor but dang nabbit rabbit especially dificult is findin Containers of Monkey Butt Powder in the freshly spanked scent or lovely flavored OakWheat Berries with Chocolate Snap Licks.

Uncle Bends Overcooked Rice was a treat a few Yares back but we'uns justa gave up seeking due to not mani peeple knew wat we was a referencin'. Durn Country Folk.
    As To "A FOOD SHOTAGE", my oh my them rancid deer parts on sides of highways cook up preeti good once ya gets all the scum an Truck Dust offa 'em.
    They gets ta bein a bit better cooking chunks after using frumunderjuice spiked with Copious amounts of Squat, like "You got some flippin' coins?" "Naw, But I gots me a lotta Squat an Yu ain't gettin' Nuttin Honey".
    All's Well Who Falls Inna Well.

Wad He Say? signing off.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.