American Trucker 2nd Season - Single Clutch

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gren10101, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Gren10101

Gren10101 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Portsmouth NH
    Did any of you guys catch the first episode of American Trucker Season 2? A driver for USA Truck was single clutching at lightning speed. Is this for real and is this technique hard on the transmission?

:biggrin_25524:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SoCalDave63

SoCalDave63 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2011
    riverside, ca
    It's done by turning on the engine brake (drops the rpm's quickly) float shift, can only be done in low range

Gren10101 Thanks this.
  4. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Seems like I was shown once on a 13 speed, when climbing a grade, and needing to lose a gear, you could do it.
    You'd be in 8th direct, hit your splitter, then tap the clutch and go into 7th over, or 12th to 11th, however you want to count it.:biggrin_25525:

It's not a habit I ever picked up, not saying it's wrong, just don't do it myself.

Gren10101 Thanks this.
  5. kenworthw900

kenworthw900 Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Washington
    I didnt even realize that was season 2 lol i thought it was the first season still but i love that show it's my new favorite im just like rob i've been a fan of big rigs since i was yay high and i was thinking why didnt i get picked for that show haha

6. TruckerGsch

TruckerGsch Medium Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    NJ
    Watch a real truckers show " Ice Road Truckers ". :biggrin_25519:

7. ohio_redneck75

ohio_redneck75 Light Load Member

Sep 27, 2010
    coshocton,ohio
    i love the show but just cant stand the host lol. he gets annoying.

8. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:, but yes, I sill watch it.

9. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Thats a real show? :biggrin_25518:

MilwaukeeTrucker Thanks this.
  10. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    It's called jake shifting. An application used to shift gears going up a grade when loaded. It matches your RPM to your ground speed. One of many tricks of the trade in the off road trucking world. We use to race triples from light to light in town at 2AM using this technique. NOT very prof. but I was a young/green freight hauler.

11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I like the show for entertainment but never would I use it for reference. The driver Hugh says he has 20 years plus experience but some of his technics are just down right stupid. Last show he's out there with his buddy Rick (that's worse than him) and they are on the very bumpy back road of Canada when he blows a tire on the trailer because of the bumps. Does Hugh do the right thing and slow down, no. So he goes on and complains about the trailer condition and blows another. He then says one more and I'm stuck out here. Then there it goes. Instead of slowing down after the first tire went Hugh the so called experienced driver keeps going and blows 2 more tires and is stuck 2 hours away from his drop.

It's fun to watch but remember you have producers that think they know how to make the show a hit.

Mdbluecrab Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.