Amsterdam to clamp down on sex shops, brothels, dope cafes

Discussion in 'Other News' started by lookingup, Dec 6, 2008.

1. lookingup

lookingup Medium Load Member

Dec 3, 2006
    AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) -- Amsterdam unveiled plans Saturday to close brothels, sex shops and marijuana cafes in its ancient city center as part of a major effort to drive organized crime out of the tourist haven.
    [​IMG]Smokers in one of the cafes that will be targeted by authorities in the Netherlands.

[​IMG]

The city is targeting businesses that "generate criminality," including gambling parlors, and the "coffee shops" where marijuana is sold openly. Also targeted are peep shows, massage parlors and souvenir shops used by drug dealers for money-laundering.
    "I think that the new reality will be more in line with our image as a tolerant and crazy place, rather than a free zone for criminals," said Lodewijk Asscher, a city council member and one of the main proponents of the plan.
    The news comes just one day after Amsterdam's mayor said he would search for loopholes in new rules laid down by the national government that would close marijuana cafes near schools citywide. The measures announced Saturday would affect about 36 coffee shops in the center itself, a little less than 20 percent of the city total.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12/06/amsterdam.cafes.brothels.close.ap/index.html

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. poppy

poppy "I Love that Cushaw Pie"

Jul 31, 2007
    ky
    sounds like the same crowd we have in washington. they need a thinning also.

4. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Ain't gonna be able to have no more fun in Amster ####!:biggrin_25526:

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    Why do they think tourists go there,........

6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    YeAH!
    I'm canceling my flight to Amster ######.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.