An okay comapany but need to watch what they really dont pay

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Truckerjo, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    well I can't say to much negative about the company. I did get my miles in (2800-3000+ a week) but I constantly kept on them to get miles. (I'm the type, give me miles or I will bug you all day long about it)

The reason I quit is they failed to pay a lot of detention time (40+ hours in total over time) and other small things that the company says they pay for.
    (Far as driving they paid every mile never had a problem with that.)
    You know the things that add up after time. some may say that's a poor reason to quit, but when a company gets to the point where they owe me close to $2000 in such little things I'm not happy about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TruckingPopeye

TruckingPopeye Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2007
    Kentucky
    EVERY company puts their detention time requirements in writing in their driver handbook. If you would have taken the time to look at your handbook vs. complaining I am sure you would have found out how to get your money. You always need to read and not just listen

4. hendersoncnc

hendersoncnc Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    baltimore,maryland
  5. MidnightFlyer

MidnightFlyer Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2007
    il
    sure companies put in writing. but look at some these manuals and you will see it states somewhere there "subject without notification". i have 1 that states that and have seen a couple of others that do to. they are sly about it.

no raise, you get better truck.(which means....1 less dent)
    take us to court than.(any got free money to spend)
    don't like it than quit.(that way your screwed all the way around)
    your miles drop.

some recruiter told me he could get me in as a Sr. driver at USX with 3 months solo driving. running out of joliet,il. no thanks i'll still wait for local.

6. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA

I have read every handbook at every company I have worked at, front to back, and it has not stopped every one of those companies from shorting me on detention, layover, hourly pay, shop pay etc.....

Most of the time I was able to finally get them to pay me after repeated calls and bugging the heck out of them. And a few times I had to shut the load down till they loaded back pay on my card.

These companies know that there is a certain percentage of drivers who will give up asking or get mesmerized by their double talk and in turn save them money.

The first thing I make sure of before I seat a truck is how much and when and for what I am paid. I also keep strict records of what I do on the road and who I talk with when dealing with operations. I even use paperwork templates so they can't say I filled something out wrong.

The last company I worked for gave us manuals that where 3 years old and many of the policy's had changed so you can't always go by the manual. Most I have seen also state that policy's can change at anytime and without notice.

Not all the policy's are for everyone in some company's. I took my truck home at my last company while they told other drivers they could not. I washed my truck 1 time per week while others where told once per month etc...

It is common knowledge that carriers try to drag their feet when paying anything but miles because it comes out of their pocket most of the time and not the customers. Some even have time limits for disputing payroll issues and delay and delay hoping you will give up or pass the limit.

7. LogsRus

LogsRus Log it Legal

Nov 23, 2006
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    What's the name of the company you are talking about? I don't see that stated in here?

8. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Since its in the US Express section, I'm assuming that he means US Express. :biggrin_25525:

9. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    You know I did not even pay attention that this thread was concerning USX, and since I worked for them for 6 1/2 years I can tell you that the OP's post is probably 100% accurate.

That company was notorious for telling drivers they would get paid for this and that and then later renege in paying them. I sat at a shipper in Long Island N.Y. for a day and a half with dozens of other drivers from USX and Land Star waiting to load for a convention in Vegas. They told us we where approved for $150 detention from the highest levels of management and 6 months later after repeated inquiry's had to shut down a load to get the money loaded on my fuel card.

Another time I sat with a bunch of drivers at the Home Depot DC in Georgia over the new years eve and day holiday waiting to get loaded and was promised $150 when HD fired a bunch of staff for showing up drunk . Was told that this was guaranteed by some VP at HD since in those days they only paid detention if the customer paid them even though their advertisement's said paid detention.

Not 1 time in the entire time I worked at USX did any extras get paid on time or without weeks of constant inquirys to fleet managers and payroll. Good thing I was a runner when I was there becuase that is the only pay you can count on at that company.

To be fair it's been over 2 years since I worked there, but from the OP's post it does not sound like much has changed at USX.

10. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Yes they do but does that mean your going to get paid? I read thier handbook front to back several times as I do at every job task I take on..
    I followed their guidelines 100% by letting them know threw the qualcomm my arrival time and again at the 2 hour mark when detention was to start (a separate message being sent to the detention department). and departure times sent in as well writing times down on bills... Still does that mean I am going to get paid? NO... Means I did my job now I had to contact them over and over and over asking why I have not been paid... meanwhile more and more detention pay was adding up and not getting paid..

Layover
    pretty simple right? says right in the book 24 hours is $50 (at that time.)
    Wrong, I was only getting paid $25 and asked why? they said that's what they paid.. I said it says $50, they said "WELL ITS WRONG"..
    contacted the Liaison and finally they had to start paying me $50...

So, just becuase it is in that magical book does not mean it is not going to be a hassle in trying to receive what you are owed....
    10-4?
    yes this was when I was at US Express
    Exactly, this company was very difficult to work with far as detention time and layover ext..

11. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

That is not true. I have worked at a lot of companies that have very little in the handbook. Their comment on detention pay reads something like:
    Detention pay may be paid.

Leaves it wide open.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.