Another seeker of the "Truth"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by spindrift, Dec 15, 2017.

1. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Good afternoon, folks.

Bear with me as I know you've heard the story a 100X before. I've been in the corporate world for quite some time, and now my corporation has no more time for me so I'll be looking for work come January.
    I grew up working on a dairy farm and even delivered hay using our old International Eagle cabover. Back in the day, I was a mechanic for Cummins so I think I have an appreciation for things that rely on grease and oil to make it through the day. I'll be 60 in a few months and I'm in good physical shape ( mental?...meh). I've got a beautiful home and an even more beautiful wife. I have absolutely no desire to go OTR or even Regional as these routes won't bring me home at the end of the day.

I've been thinking of going in a couple of directions. One would be to take my 2012 Ford F350 dually and get a 25 ton gooseneck trailer and haul RVs one way and bring back hot shot loads. I have absolutely no relationship with a broker so I'm not sure this is the way to go. Plus, a good gooseneck won't be cheap and I'll have the cost of financing that piece of equipment. On the other hand, it gets me out on my own.

Option 2 would be looking for a local intermodal gig. Option 3 would be grocery hauler. I'd look forward to the physical work as I need to get my blood pressure back under control. ;)

BTW, I don't have a CDL so I'd need to evaluate what the better course of action might be; go to a school or get the CDL through a carrier.

I'd really appreciate hearing the pros and cons of the ideas I've thrown out, or new ideas that y'all might have. I'm located in Louisville, KY.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I would say if you have money go to CDL school of your own accord.

You can do like I did to save money, get your permit before you even go. The full CDL class was 8000 dollars and 4 weeks. I did the 4 day course, 2000 dollars flat and I was done.

If you take CDL through a carrier you'll be tied to that carrier. If you want that. go ahead but I didn't.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You are thinking in a couple different directions. I mean do you want to be a business owner and assume all the risk or have a good local gig and collect a paycheck? Owning the equipment often does not lead to more dollars on your dinner table.

I would recommend chasing the grocery delivery daycab job. It will be physically demanding but you will earn good money and be home daily. All while driving the company provided equipment. There are also jobs where you take a truck from one terminal to another and return, think ups with those 2x 28' trailers. They are home daily and have a set schedule but those union jobs are not easy to come by. Gotta put your time in kinda thing. The grocery or chips or pop delivery should be easier to get and also pays well considering most drivers do not want to unload their own truck. Consider Pepsi - same deal as sysco or any of those food delivery outfits.

Getting your cdl. Pay out of pocket and go to a private school. Do not go to a carrier who will pay for it in exchange for usually 1 year of your time. That is akin to selling your soul to the devil. Put it on a credit card if you have to just don't ever become someone's ##### EVER in this industry. Well unless they have a big enough check book. Which those pay for your cdl junk do not.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Open a shop. Take a refresher Cummins course.

If you're even a compitent wrench, the world will beat a path to your door.

6. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Yes but he is most likely like me, burnt out after 40 years. Now the reason I say that is because he is not looking to spin wrenches anymore. He, like me could walk into most any shop, any time of the year and go right to work.

Oh and the guy that said his school was 8 grand, wow that's crazy. Once unemployed, look into the WIOA program for your state. you may qualify for free training.

7. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Exactly...simply evaluating going in either direction. I've had enough of the corporate BS so I'm wondering if I can make money with my little truck. Being here in KY, I see RVs being dragged down I65 all day and night and can't help but wonder about the money these guys make while having to deadhead all the way home. If you could pick up a load on the way home, it might pay.

8. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    I hate to burst your bubble, but driving isn't as easy as we make it look.

Barn Door Bill, austinmike and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. spindrift

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    I have absolutely no desire to go back to wrenchin', or, work for Cummins.

10. SinCityShooter

SinCityShooter Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    Las Vegas
    Can I ask where that came from? I don't recall saying anything about driving at all. Simply said he was probably burnt out and didn't want to spin wrenches again.

11. Dave_in_AZ

May 4, 2015
    People think truck driving is an easy buck. It is, to a degree, but it takes a lot of effort. It's not a place to slide by. And many people's don't fair so well out on the road.

TripleSix, Texas_hwy_287 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.