Another what would you do thread

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by rizob, Feb 5, 2014.

1. rizob

rizob Light Load Member

May 16, 2010
    Mantua, NJ
    So we all know that the best place to get law advice is on a trucking website. Thats why im here. HAHA

Many of you may have read my recent post about an accident I had. I will breifly run over it for those who didn't. I was traveling on northbound I 295 in NJ.Was driving my moms car because mine was having mechanical issues. Was in the slow lane going the speed limit. Nice cushion in front of me and a few cars passing me with a two lane exit to my right. A lady in the middle lane missed her exit and came over in front of me very close and slammed on her breaks in front of me. I slid and hit her rear passenger side with my front drivers side. No injuries at the scene except the police report said the lady had back pain but refused medical treatment. I told my side of the story and she said I just slammed into the back of her for no reason. Cop said because I hit her in the rear its really considered my fault but no tickets were issued. even though im 100% sure anyone would have hit her. I was driving as safe as i possibly could because I knew I was getting ready to get into trucking.

Ok that was the jist of it. Heres where it gets interesting and complicated. So follow along closely

Picked up accident report today. Report stated that the lady I hit must have been a crossdresser because she was listed as a male. She was driving my moms car and my mom was driving her car. they were both in the center lane. The lady which was driving my moms car hit my mom which was driving the ladies car, in the rear end. Causing damage to the entire back end of the car( when all I saw was damage to the back bumper). They didnt even have my license number or any of my information anywhere on the report. They had my moms along with her date of birth, which I never gave them. IGave them my license, her insurance and registation. Nowhere on any of that documentation is my moms license number and date of birth. It stated that I was The owner of my moms car.So the only time I show up on the report is as the owner of my moms car Which the other lady was driving!!!

So my question to all of you trucking lawyers is this. What should I do? My plan now is to keep my mouth shut and see what happens. It's nice that my license number is not tied to this. My mom is freaked out because hers is. But at the same time it says the other lady hit her. We talked to our insurance company about it and they said dont worry about it. They would figure that all out for insurance porposes. So if the lady decides to sue I would of course set the record straight. But what if she doesnt?. I have about another year before I wanted to be a trucker So if everything goes through like this should I say anything to the trucking companies about the accident? Being that my obviously the officer didn't write my drivers license number down and the only tie to me looks like through the insurance company right now.

SO what would you do if you were me?

Confused yet? HAHA

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    What would I do? Move far, far away from Jersey and never look back. Kinda like the WPP.

Puppage, bigtssa and rizob Thank this.
  4. rizob

rizob Light Load Member

May 16, 2010
    Mantua, NJ
    Haha, xlsdraw. That may be the best advice anyone has ever given me.

xlsdraw Thanks this.
  5. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    It seems you got very lucky with the incoherent accident report info. regardless, if I were you I would not think twice about coughing up the $100-200 for a lawyer consultation. That's nothing compared to the value of your licence.

Also, dash cams sell for as little as $100 now-a-days ...just sayin

6. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Dash cam, For your truck and personal vehicle.

7. Winkjr

Winkjr Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Marlton NJ
    Aren't lawyer consultations free?

8. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    If they think there is a good chance of a substantial settlement; otherwise, no.

9. Wooly Rhino

Wooly Rhino Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Liberty, Missouri
    Law students advice is free and worth every penny.

What you are asking is do you tell employers about your accident or not. That would be an ethics question so asking a lawyer would be a waste of time. A priest would tell you yes and then play with your leg.

Police screw up things all the time. If it goes to court and the cross dresser shows up, you can tell the court you never saw this person in your life. You were struck by a woman. Your mother shouldn't worry about it as her insurance is going to pay either way. As long as there are no points against her drivers license it does nothing.

My free advice is to list the accident on your employment applications and say you were struck by a car making an illegal lane change. Period. That way you are covered without any big deal. The company will not ask for police reports. The insurance company will have already listed what ever they decide.

Now for you own piece of mind. I am betting that the Cross-dresser had been "rear-ended" many times before and probably will be again. :biggrin_2551:

D.Tibbitt and rizob Thank this.
  10. rizob

rizob Light Load Member

May 16, 2010
    Mantua, NJ
    Haha. Good one wooly. She wasn't really a cross dresser. At least I don't think so. I saw a woman at the accident. The report says she is a man. I can't believe that the cop made so many mistakes on the report. The good part is if she decides to sue me she said she was in the middle lane. I have picture of my skid marks in the slow lane. Of course my pictures probably don't mean a thing but anything is better than nothing. I wish I got pictures of the damage on her car because the damage was only on the one corner because she was on an angle in my lane. The cop said the whole back was damaged, which I'm sure it was from the force of impact. But you could definitely tell that the impact was on the corner of her car. Especially because the only damage on my car was the driver front corner. Oh well too late now.

I probably will tell about the accident. I don't want any surprises. I have a little while to think about it and pull my dmv record.

I wish I had the money to talk to a lawyer. I would. I also wish I had the money for a dash cam. I'm definitely getting one of them. Soon...

11. MrIT

MrIT Light Load Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    If you hit the side of the car and not the rear then that proves they made an illegal lane change and you shouldn't be at fault. If you hit their rear u would be at fault.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.