antennas pointed forwards and fans mounted on backs of sleepers

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by jl28, Aug 22, 2010.

1. jl28

jl28 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2010
    cent.ny
    I've noticed that on some trucks [mostly hotrod type]that the cb antennas are pointed forward vs vertical.Is this like attitude? or do they recieve better that way.Also,whats the small fans mounted on the backs of some sleepers? a/c for the sleepers?Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm pretty sure the fans on the sleepers are for an APU. The antennas I know it does nothing for the radio and might hurt the reception

4. rocknroll nik

rocknroll nik High Risk Load Member

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    The fans are for APU units. and as far as the "west coast rig" style of antenna's ...well some people think that when they are moving the air pressure on the antenna's pushes them more to a vertical there fore it makes them work better when moving, it doesnt do anything that I noticed either so I always ended up with mine vertical

5. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    It means the same thing as when a guy hangs his handkerchief out of the back right pocket of his jeans.

6. rocknroll nik

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    and purple lights in the cab are the new good buddy color right?

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. milskired

milskired Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Plainfield, IL

Whoa Whoa Whoa that is news to me and thank god I HATE purple lights.

x1Heavy and Oldironfan Thank this.
  8. rocknroll nik

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    I heard that about 2 years ago when I was driving for Celedon and it was old back then....not sure it coulda just been a trucker tale too but ya never know

9. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    The actual reason that guys started leaning their antennas forward (slightly) was so that with a very flexable antenna like a Frances or the old Hustlers the wind would tend to stand them up straight when you were moving and they were supposed to work a little better that way.

I tried it for a while in the late 70's and it didn't seem to make much of a difference so I just stood them up straight and left them that way because they looked kind'a stupid leaning forward.

These days...These morons have no idea why they would lean them forward, They just saw some other idiot with his leaned forward and thought that that must be the "cool trucker way" to do it....It's kind of a case of "Monkey see, Monkee do!"

10. rocknroll nik

Oct 18, 2008
    can't read the sign
    yup a friend has his t2000's skewed a little...it's barely noticeable but I asked him and he said it had to do with the wind thing too. I tried it with my whips and it didnt make a bit of difference so I stood em back up...what can I say

11. Injun

Injun Road Train Member

May 15, 2010
    West o' the Big Crick
    I always just shake my head when I see those coil antennae leaned forward like that. Knowing what I do about radio and reception from having been in public service, I happen to know for a fact the reception is reduced by raking the antennae forward like that. Radio waves travel horizontally. When the antennae are raked forward at such a severe angle as I've seen, the reception surface is reduced by sometimes 60%. These are the same guys, though, who will spend a gazillion bucks on a radio setup with the linear and extra toys then complain the reception just isn't what they want. Well, DUH!

Fan on the back of the cab has already been answered. Man, I miss mine sometimes...then I realize I'm making more money and not working as hard for it...and get over it.

darthanubis Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.