Anti-gel in Canada in winter?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Feb 23, 2017.

1. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    Do you really need to use anti-gel in Canada during winter? Or is it added to the fuel already? Also, is the fuel always blended #1 and #2 diesel regardless of temperature? I'm in Saskatchewan and the temperatures have been pretty mild in AB and SK the last week.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d281833

d281833 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2012
    Fuel is already winter blend, if the temp really starts to drop and the wind starts to howl then throw a jug in. Other than that it's pretty much common sense to keep your tanks up.

DTP, JC1971 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you fuel up in canada. Shouldn't be a problem. If you fuel up in texas. Might be a problem.

Happened to me in casper wyoming. I fueled up in Amarillo. Half tanks by the time I reached casper. The truck had a bunk heater so I didn't run the engine. Most of the trucks parked for the night had mechanics working on them in the morning. Mine just needed a bottle added. But the fuel pump relay decided not to work come morning.

Most of the other trucks had heaters under them

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    rank Thanks this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    With 150 gallon tanks I've always added 1/2 gallon of 87 Octane to each tank any time it dropped below 10f,.. or like said,.. the wind starts to howl and it feel like Siberia.

Now I just steal gas that I was going to use for my generator. Never any issues and much cheaper than the $20+ they want for the fuel treatment.

Also,.. I honestly have no clue how this works. But was told on my truck it sends warmed unused fuel back to the tanks and should minimize any problems with fuel gelling.

Hurst

rank Thanks this.
  6. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    You do not need to add anti gel in Canada in winter in any temperature. It is blended from the refinery. You will not have a problem with fuel gelling here if you burn our tax-rich fuel. The clear stuff is the best for very cold temperatures. It's clear everywhere when it gets that cold.

JC1971 and rank Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    That's on any injected engine. Not just YOUR truck.

Your fuel rail sits on top of the cylinder heads. Which you know gets pretty hot. Rail is under pressure so that the injectors can inject. What don't get used goes back to the tanks. To be pressurized again into the rail. Every engine injection system has a pressure line from the tank and a return line back to the tanks. Engines get hot and that heat spreads.

It would be impossible for fuel to be sent back to the tanks at the same temp it was sucked at. Once the engine has reach operating temp. Or even in the process of warming up.

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I thought the purple burned better?

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    As others have mentioned, local fuel is blended for local conditions so buy local and you should be fine for gelling, however gelling isn't icing. If you have water in your fuel you can still ice up. Check fuel tanks for water, leave the truck running in cold conditions and carry spare fuel filters.

10. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    The purple stuff is for Barney only... top secret.

11. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Circle K watches the weather and adjusts the blend.... in really cold weather I don't trust anyone.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.