antidepressants and stimulants?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by jondriver, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jondriver

jondriver Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Ive been taking bupropion (antidepressant) for about 6 months and i recently started taking vyvanse (stimulant similar to ritalin). Ive been off the road for 3 years but my cdl is still good and i was thinking about taking a refresher course and getting back to trucking but im worried about these meds im taking, mainly the stimulant. Ive read on the internet that vyvanse will show up as an amphetamine on a drug test. I cant seem to get a straight answer as to weither or not I can drive a truck with these prescriptions. can someone give me sonme info on this . thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1pissedoffdriver

1pissedoffdriver Account Retired at members request

Oct 3, 2008
    KC/NY
    The way i see the drivers of today,most of them should be on something...lmao

walleye Thanks this.
  4. PharmPhail

PharmPhail Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    That's a schedule II and is too new to have been ruled on specifically, but there aren't really any approved C-II's. A dirt smudge on your application will get you denied right now.

That drug is a synthetic so it is unlikely to show up as amphetamine in therapeutic doses, but it also is cleared in about 72 hours.

So, you probably won't get a job if you declare it. If they are going to know your primary physician or medical history, they'll find out. You can go cold for 4 days before the drug test and try that route, but there's no real way to eliminate the risk here.

It does carry warnings that are bars unto themselves from driving, namely raised blood pressure and increased heart rate, in some cases heart failure and respiratory rate changes to fainting. Unlikely but doesn't work well for you.

5. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    The knowledge you posses and you want to drive truck,......:banghead:

PharmPhail Thanks this.
  6. jondriver

jondriver Bobtail Member

Jan 13, 2009
    thanks for the info on vyvanse , i had a feeling it would be a problem ive decided to stop taking it anyway I didnt think it was helping and kept me buzzing all day which i didnt like., I still cant find any straight answers about bupropion though. Ive read in a couple of places that it can show up as an amphetamine or thc on a drug test, Im taking it for mild depression , i dont know why it would show up as amphetamin and thc sounds even stranger but that what I read. when i first started driving in 04 i was taking zoloft and that wasnt a problem for the dot or company physical so i figured bupropion wouldnt be either but know im a little hesitant after reading that stuff

7. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    Bupropion does the same thing as zoloft, which is to increase seratonin levels, but also increases dopamine. Dopamine and seratonin are both just neurotransmitters. Marijuana also increases dopamine levels (hence the term "dope"), but the drug tests don't test those levels, just for THC. You should not get a false positive on any drug test created in the last decade or so. Even before that it was rare.

If you decide not to declare it and they find out, it won't be because of the drug test. More likely due to the footwork involved with making calls and checking up on you. They seem to have their ways.

8. Treadloss

Treadloss Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Not Right...

Is there a list of prohibited drugs for being medically qualified to drive a commercial motor vehicle (CMV)?
    Section 391.41(b)(12) states: A person is physically qualified to drive a CMV if that person does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11, Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug. Exception: A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a CMV. This exception does not apply to methadone.
    Medical Examiners are required to give careful consideration to the effects of medications on a driver's ability to operate a CMV safely before rendering the driver qualified.

Here is all the nasty Sched 1 stuff...http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/21cfr/cfr/1308/1308_11.htm

but even this stuff is ok if your doctor says so"a doctor that wishes to retire maybe"..Anyway Sched 2 stuff, I would still get a DRs.. note stating that it does not hamper your driving.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  9. Treadloss

Treadloss Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Another little bit..
    Subpart F - Drug Testing Laboratories
    § 40.85 What drugs do laboratories test for?
    As a laboratory, you must test for the following five drugs or classes of drugs in a DOT drug test. You must not test "DOT specimens" for any other drugs.
    (a) Marijuana metabolites.
    (b) Cocaine metabolites.
    (c) Amphetamines.
    (d) Opiate metabolites.
    (e) Phencyclidine (PCP).

By these regs that are empowerd by Law they cant test for other things for a DOT..test.. Now if the employer wants to do their own test it may be different.
    Thank God I can keep taking the LCD...I dont think I could drive without the hallucinations...Snark snark..

10. PharmPhail

Nov 7, 2008
    NC
    I don't know if there is a DOT exception, but generally false positives don't hurt you anyway. When your test is positive, the testing company calls you and asks if you are taking any other medicines or supplements. Provided you have a prescription for the conflicting med, the testing company is not supposed to disclose it per Hipaa law. Once they resolve the conflict, the results are corrected and a 'negative' answer is supplied to the hiring company.

11. Treadloss

Treadloss Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2009
    If you have ADD and want to be a driver please treat it...That does not always mean medication but you need to have a way of staying focused. The problem isn't people taking care of themselves it's all the folks running around with impairments that do nothing about it...

This list http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/listby_sched/sched2.htm has lisdexamfetamine dimesylate/vyvanse as controlled Sheduel 2 but non narcotic...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.