Anxiety about driving a big truck.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by wtrippe0909, Jun 24, 2018.

1. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    wtrippe0909 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    I'm not 100% certain.... But That "blackout" due to anxiety....may be a disqualifier on your DOT physical....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Reason for edit: spell check again
    wtrippe0909 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. Last Time Around

Last Time Around Medium Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    If realtors gave you a panic attack, and a needle made you "blackout"..... consider what coming upon black ice might do to you? Or Big City driving? Or the mountains? Realtors don't have anything on Shipping/receiving clerks.... or dispatchers.... or a DOT inspection

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Blacking out from extreme stress is a certainty.

Sometimes when things go sideways or worse get a little difficult if not actually BAD, I have a bad habit of laughing.

Believe it or not, that was allowed to develop inside of me when im pushed into a corner with a 300 pound bully who has my notebook containing homework that has to be turned in or I will fail the class is what the group wanted me to see failure. The Bully did not have to do much of anything.

I thought this is nuts, the class is done, so forget it. The bully isnt very aggressive at the moment so there is a oppertunity here. The real problem was with 6 of the kids who put together this particular bathroom situation with me as the target.

Maintaince worker left a 3 gallons worth of dirty soapy water and mop in one corner having completed is work which also happened to contain a number of chemicals hanging off the cart's side pocket in spray bottles and the like.

One particular bottle got poured all over the notebook containing everything I own. And the bare arms and skins of the hands holding it all at his waist. A second chemical dumped onto his shirt generated a form of gas. While he's wondering about the problem I grabbed the mob and rammed 4 of the 6 trouble makers into the urinals and in the other half of the circle came back round with the dirty soapy water went all over them. Some slipped on the floor because they were not wearing the correct shoes for slippery surfaces. Some knocked thier heads on the urnals on the way down for the count.

Bully by now is starting to hurt and get angry. I told him to drop that stupid notebook and go straight to the nurse before he loses his clothes in public or has burns. (That building was about 110 yards away in the -20 cold) He takes off. Two of the remaining bullies went ahead and cornered me into the sink and towel area. One was a wrap type towel towel, which wrapped around his neck which put him to sleep in a short time and the other when I came out of the corner slipped backwards on the soap and slammed into the stall door.

I was only one of two people out of there The Bully got treated with a proper bath decomaination style in about a hour and was given new clothes. And the notebook with the ruined homework etc was traced to me. Obviously a little bit of detention followed but not suspension.

The 6 that caused trouble in the beginning were suspended a week or more. And that would be that from any of them the rest of that school year or any school year. The bully made some changes for the better. He was transferred out at the end of that semester.

It's pretty fortunate that I was not going up against hardened people who would not hesitate to use everything and anything in that room to hurt me pretty badly or even killed. These were just kids, at least three did not have it in their hearts to do any real harm there that day. that reduced my problems to 4. Cook the big one fast, and take at least one of the three left out of the fight but do it quickly because there is only so much air you have to with. In a room that now began to develop a form of chlorine gas.

The worst thing was having to decide that the entire work inside that notebook, the teacher's rules, the material demanded to be in research and so on all had to be essentially considered &^%$,. A Liability for what it was. I was already 20, it was going to be my last senior year regardless of grades. (*That is a long story going back to elementry grades.) but under Maryland Law you age out of school by 21. You are out. If you needed a GED, you got it through adult night school after.

To tell you the truth, no one cared if I had a diploma or not. They especially by extension did not care if I was valedictorian in my class or not. There were certain other things I became good at for the school at large as a leader in a variety of situations but none of that matters in the real world once you get out of that class room and enter a world where the land lord will have her rent at the end for the month or you are out.

That is what most people don't understand about all this schooling stuff. Over emphasis on things that do not matter.

6. lakemeader

lakemeader Bobtail Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Las Vegas
    Rocks, SOAthor, x1Heavy and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    #### I thought I had a nervous disposition.. But never blacked out.

Anyways, yes. I was nervous as hell. The first three days driving on the road I was wiping sweat off my neck, forehead and back. We drove in 15 minute increments. It felt like an eternity.

I don't get nervous on the highway anymore. Some city driving and most backing situations still do, though.

Rocks, SOAthor and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  8. Scole1987

Scole1987 Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Asheboro
    Not trying to come down hard on you but you dont seem to have the mental toughness necessary to drive a truck. I was in the army for 6 years. Mental toughness is trait that's very rare these days.

wtrippe0909 Thanks this.
  9. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    mental toughness lol wait till the 18 year olds get out here .... we will have ours tested lol buy stock in companies that make replacement truck mirrors. .... 98% of these kids will have trouble adjusting to the lifestyle let alone safe driving sure it works in the military but there is that constant supervision and there is a very big difference between a drill instructor and a trainer for cr England. .. it's the cut rate driver mill companies that have pushed for this and there success rate for having someone still being a successful driver after 2 years is probably around 20 % when you are having morons training children to do a man's job (or women ) it is a recipe for disaster

wtrippe0909 Thanks this.
  10. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    If you aren't nervous when you hop into a big rig for the first time someone should take the keys before you kill someone.

Kinda like any soldier who didn't say he was scared ####less the first time he went into real battle is either high on drugs or lying like a politician.

Last Time Around and wtrippe0909 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.