Anxiety in the snow

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sunshinegirl, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Sunshinegirl

Sunshinegirl Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2019
    Idaho
    I was recently hit by a woman who couldn't control her vehicle on a road with snow. I was shaken up at the time but was fine afterwards. A few days ago while loading up a car on the back of my tow truck I had a silver Dodge take out my mirror and not stop. I have the next few days off, but I am getting anxiety thinking about driving a large truck in horrible conditions. I'll drive a 4WD in any conditions and am a confident driver. Is it to many close calls to close together? My confidence is horribly shaken. All I can think of is another accident coming my way that I won't be able to walk away after. Any other drivers have this? What helped? Were expecting bad snow the next few days.

RoadRooster, Upinsmoke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 88228822

88228822 Heavy Load Member

Sep 26, 2018
    I blame the holidays. People get weird, and people who don't normally drink, drink. And lots of folks driving on roads they are not familiar with.

4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    All I can say is if you don’t get back on the horse you will forever live with the fear. All you can do is your best in controlling your rig and if you feel conditions are to much for you to drive then pull over.

5. Sunshinegirl

Dec 19, 2019
    Idaho
    That's what I assumed. It's just my anxiety is so bad. It's a big truck in slick conditions. I didn't know if anyone had any tips on driving or making it easier

Upinsmoke and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    I feel safer driving in truck than i do in car. Sounds like the first 2 accidents was not ur fault. Be safe out there. Theres alot of good info on this site of how to drive in slick weather

Upinsmoke Thanks this.
  7. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    you are lucky, look what almost happened to this poor sap..

Tow truck driver nearly slammed by a swerving vehicle on icy road

it's the job you applied for and got some training on. in all our lives, we live with danger on the road.

you just have to have eyes all over your head.

i had an air line pop off on my trailer, and so i had to pull over to reattach it, and you'd think that stupid 18 wheelers would move over for a brother....but they got so close to me, it's a wonder i survived.

Upinsmoke, OLDSKOOLERnWV and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    For some reason, your post has reminded me of an interesting thing that kept happening to me over several years. No matter what time, no matter the date or the weather. I could not get through downtown Columbus Ohio through the I 71 I 70 merge. Sometimes it was rain caused wreck, sometimes snow. One day it was a drunk. I remember one of the last times this happened. I was westbound on 70 and almost at the merge, thinking oh boy, this time I am going to make it. It was a cold winter day, somehow some ice formed in the lanes ahead of me. I still to this day remember watching the accident start ahead of me.

You speak of having anxiety? I started using the loop around Columbus after that. I think if I could again drive and headed that way there would be some kind of road blockage there. Weird that has happened to me.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Some people dont believe in guardian angels but u had one looking out for u

Upinsmoke and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  10. Sunshinegirl

Dec 19, 2019
    Idaho
    I was hit by a drunk driver in September he hit my dodge 2500 so hard it flung forward 15feet into the back of my tow truck. I then got hit by a lady who saw me panicked locked up her breaks and smashed right by my A Arms. Then on Thursday a silver Dodge went to pass a car that had slowed down for me, I was in the process of loading up a car vs deer. All my lights were going like a Christmas tree on crack and he hit my mirror. His exploded mine was knocked loose. I was hooking up the driver side when this happened. Of course driver didn't stop. Now we are expecting a lot of snow and rain it's my day off and I'm getting anxiety thinking about it. I'm not necessarily scared of my driving it's other drivers and ice. Chains only do so much on a big truck

Upinsmoke, OLDSKOOLERnWV and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Crank the heat up and keep on truckin away.

Upinsmoke and starmac Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.