Any carriers that will hire felons

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by QuietMike, Jul 17, 2016.

1. QuietMike

QuietMike Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have a friend that was just released from prison in the last month, he's been studying the CDL manual for the last couple of months he was locked up. He really wants to go to truck driving school so he can get a job and provide for his family. Being a driver myself, hes been asking me a bunch of questions. But I just don't know if it will even be worth it for him to go spend all that money to go to school and then run the risk of not being able to find a job. He has some kind of robbery charge from when he was 17 and tried as an adult. He was just released after nearly 10 years in prison. He's never in his adult life even had a regular drivers license. So I guess the question is, if he puts out the money to go to a private truck driving school, will it be possible to find a job? He said he knows that he'll have to deal with working for a crappy company for awhile, and he seems fine with that, until he gets enough experience to move onto a better gig. I just don't have any experience with felonies so I really don't know what to tell him.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Giuseppe Ventolucci

Giuseppe Ventolucci Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2015
  4. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016

5. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I met a newly hired fellow Crete driver that got out of prison and did a year at Carolina Cargo to get his foot in the door.
    I asked him how bad it was and I got the "you don't want to know look" from him.
    He didn't bad mouth them and he was grateful they gave him a start.
    And that makes him a real good guy

6. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Ive seen a few adds for co.s that will hire people with a record .
    The " problem " is they know people with a record have few few choices so the pay is way down there but , if they can stick it out long enough they " opportunities " improve .

7. Fx9

Fx9 Light Load Member

May 30, 2016
    Just occured to me ~ maybe he can get on with an owner / lease op that is looking for a 2nd seat driver ?

8. QuietMike

QuietMike Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I've heard about carolina cargo a few times. I don't think he really cares about how bad a company is to start with. Just wants to get his foot into the industry. From what you guys have said it looks like he would have some options. Yes, he'll get his CDL. He put in an application tonight for the school that I went to since they have financial aid and dorm rooms. I

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Tell him to attend CDL school. The state might even pay for it through the unemployment office.
    These two companies hire felons right out of prison.
    Carolina Cargo
    PI&I Motor Express

Ignore what the websites have; they will hire him. These companies may even give a pre-hire letter if the school requires it.

JustWannaBeComfortable Thanks this.
  10. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I believe new penn, Holland, or YRC might be a shot in your area. Hiring criteria has dropped since it's hard to find drivers willing to work for one of the lowest paid LTL carriers. Even though its lowest paid LTL carrier it's still a good wage in trucking. No exp necessary either.

11. Woody77532

Woody77532 Bobtail Member

Jul 14, 2016
    I believe us xpress does

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.