Any companies still run manual transmissions?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by I like manuals, Jun 21, 2021.

1. I like manuals

I like manuals Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2021
    Can't stand these automatics, governed at 65, with no provision to take full control of the shift points, and the radar and lane control is a joke. The truck I'm currently driving can be accessed remotely and the performance characteristics can be changed as well as idling time. Can't get a 34 hour restart anymore because the truck won't idle for more than a set number of hours and no apu. Are there any trucking companies out there that havent gone full techno and still run manual transmission trucks that will do 70+?

D.Tibbitt and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    From what I have read on other truck boards, Old Dominion Freight Lines still purchases manuals. Not 100% manuals, they have a mixed fleet.
    Where I work, I have not seen an auto yet, in any class 8 truck.

I like manuals and bentstrider83 Thank this.
  4. I like manuals

I like manuals Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2021
    You are lucky. every company I've talked to is all automatics.

5. Farming Trucker

Farming Trucker Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2019
    I think Heartland Express and Roehl Transport let their drivers choose Auto or Manual.

I like manuals Thanks this.
  6. diamondd817

diamondd817 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2020
    I really don't have an issue with automatics. I've been driving a 12spd auto Volvo and it is great. Any new truck can be governed or programmed remotely whether it is auto or manual. You need to find a company that runs old trucks.

This auto vs manual is just becoming a macho thing for most. I drive an automatic and my balls have not shrunk at all.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  7. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    call somebody besides a Mega and you'll find real trucks.

8. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Some have to update their software (thinking). The automatics from years back is not the same automatics of today. The technology has improved. I drive both but more auto than manual. I prefer the automatic & I climb hills with mostly 40k+. The auto sure beats shifting back & forth. It works for me.

9. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Meh ill give up my manual when they are banned from the road. They are comfortable, reliable, let me feel more in control of my vehicle and are one of the few "relics" i get to keep constant in my life for now while the rest of the world goes insane around me. If that makes me "macho" so be it.

10. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I may one of the few, but I actually enjoy shifting.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Sounds like the OP has an issue with the company and how they program their trucks more so than the auto itself. Find a smaller company that doesn’t babysit you or have all the land departure junk on the truck and you’ll probably be happier.

12. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Manual vs auto? OP, you're worried about the wrong things when looking for a company, at least in my estimation. I don't see what difference it makes if you're making money. Ice got an automatic now, and it's way easier. I'm just as much a trucker now, as I was when I had a manual...the world of trucking is going in that direction. May as well evolve with the industry.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.