Any good dispatch services around south Texas area?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Andrew Woods, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Andrew Woods

Andrew Woods Light Load Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I'm looking for a dispatch service in south Texas that deals with more localized loads if possible. I have a 53' step deck trailer with ramps. I fully understand if you don't want to give out names, but where would I be able to find info on this? I have searched google and only come up with brokers, not dispatch services.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    South Texas is dry and I am looking for advice on what to do? So everyone wants all of us to say no to cheap freight, yet no one wants to help anyone learn how to find good paying freight. Maybe one day you guys will wake up and realize you are killing yourselves. I have searched and searched for months and have been on multiple load boards and all of it looks cheap to me. Occasionally you will run across one that pays decent but nothing outstanding IMO. I don't want anyone's contacts.

4. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    [/QUOTE]
    Thanks! I will give them a shout. You are one of the few that are willing to be helpful instead of hateful! I appreciate that. I have been sending emails and going around to companies around me but basically all of them either already have trucks they use or haul themselves. I’ve been hoping one of them will slip up and need an extra hand and give me a call. Hopefully that will help get me in the door locally anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2019
    Reason for edit: Edited to remove quote from deleted post.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So someone that wont give up the name or place of a good customer or broker they have is hateful because they dont want you or anyone else going in and cutting their throat?

Gotcha.

6. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Not once have I asked for names or brokers........ I simply am asking for advice on where to look and what to do. And yes many times the replies to these kinds of threads are hateful and non helpful at all. I have not and will never ask for names or phone numbers and I stated that in the original post even. I have no problem doing legwork, just want advice on where to start. I am looking to not haul cheap freight which is what everyone fusses about on here, however, cheap freight is all that anyone will point new O/O's to so they don't chance losing a load.

7. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    What do you really expect though? Have you not seen all the threads about people complaining about lack of freight, rates, etc etc?

I really dont understand your comment on telling everyone that "one day we will wake up and realize we are killing ourselves?"

If its that bad why did you buy a truck in the first place?

8. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    Have you seen all of the comments in those threads by others who have not seen a decrease in freight?

By that statement, I meant that the reason loads are going so cheap is because many new O/O's do not know where to find higher paying loads so they have to take the cheaper ones to be able to make any money at all. If they had help in knowing where to go or what to try to find higher paying loads, you would have less cheap freight being hauled. The more secretive the higher paying loads are, the more cheap freight is going to be hauled. I personally have been trying to find higher paying freight for several months now and have run into road blocks in every single direction I go.

I already had a truck, use it for hauling my own equipment. I do however want to use it for hauling general freight or other equipment in my slow times with my other business.

I'm not here to argue with people, I am here to get advice from more experienced truckers. After all, every industry relies on new people to stay in business, correct? So why not help people to learn the business and then it will stay alive and healthy instead of falling apart with cheap freight.

9. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    The trucking industry is beyond over saturated with trucks... Supply and Demand.

10. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    I hear both ways constantly. Some say there’s a driver shortage, some say over saturated. To me it seems like there are too many company drivers and not enough owner ops. Hence cheaper freight yet again. Part of that I’m sure is all of the crap gov regulations and taxes. Seems like everytime I move my right but I have to pay another tax.

11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The higher paying stuff you want probably requires relationship building and that will be hard for you because you only want to do it part time. The truth is people probably won’t want to let you in on the good stuff if they know you won’t be around when your business is busy.

12. Andrew Woods

Feb 22, 2016
    Pawnee, TX
    My long term plan is actually to purchase a second truck if it becomes steady and hire a full time driver. As of right now my focus is 50/50. I can focus more on the truck if I needed to and put a driver in my tractor for my other business if need be. I agree on the relationship part, however I’m not sure how to go about doing that. The only people I ever get to talk to when I haul off the load boards are usually the brokers and maybe a hand.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.