Any good resources for antique trucks? Working through some 2 speed rear end issues on a 1959 B-162

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by K5_489, Dec 30, 2019.

1. K5_489

K5_489 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2019
    I have a 1959 International B-162 medium duty truck, and having difficulty finding resources for repair advice. I know this forum isn't really geared towards old trucks, but thought maybe some people here would know where to go, or what to do with these old beasts? The International forum I usually hang out on is normally for Scouts, and some of the 60s/70s pickups, but really doesn't have many people familiar with the bigger trucks.

My electric 2 speed rear end (Eaton 13600) isn't properly shifting to high range, and I'm fairly confident it's due to excessive wear on the high speed clutch plate, but wanted to confirm it, as this is the first "big" truck I've ever played with or had apart.

OLDSKOOLERnWV Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
  4. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Go to “Just old trucks” forum. It’s an ATHS spin-off. Lotta vintage truck guys. All makes and models. Geoff Weeks is one of the go to guys for the big IH stuff.

OLDSKOOLERnWV and K5_489 Thank this.
  5. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    9061543D-3503-4DFE-BEA5-9A5C73FF35D4.png

International like this one of mine?

062 Thanks this.
  6. K5_489

K5_489 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2019

Very similar to that one, yes. Mine apparently was one of the original test mules for the diesel engine, and has BD-162 on the door tag. LST confirmed it shipped with a diesel, but now had a BD264 in it and T30 OD trans.

7. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Before I got to excited, I’d check all the wiring. Then go on to the 2 speed itself. The later models had a circuit board in them, seems like I had to change the 86 model S-1900 International circuit board inside the 2 speed once a year.

With the engine off and the ignition on with transmission in neutral, work the 2 speed selector button and listen for the 12 volt motor on the 2 speed.

It may be as simple as the contacts inside the 2 speed housing. Take the cover off and see if it needs cleaned up and lubed. They are pretty simple once you look at it.....

Not that this is your problem but..... we bought a brand new International S-1700 in 1984, DT466 / 5 / 2. Differential never did shift out of low properly and a number of times we brought it home with the rear axle stuck in low!!
    The wish bone or fork was actually binding up do to lack of clearance. Little work with a 4” grinder and the problem that couldn’t be found nor fixed by International under warranty was now solved....

clausland, SmallPackage and 062 Thank this.
  8. K5_489

K5_489 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2019
    Differential is already out of the truck, and on the bench, lol. I've also already been through the wiring, switch, shift motor, limit switches, etc. It seemed to shift OK when I was in reverse, but wouldn't catch at all in forward. I eventually got to the point of attempting to shift it into high manually, by hand, and again, it would engage when turning the driveshaft in reverse, but the shift fork would "ratchet", or wanted to "cam out" when spinning the driveshaft in forward.

I have a copy of the Dana/Eaton 2 speed axle service manual, but it doesn't really have a good image of what new gears look like as opposed to what excessive wear looks like, and I THINK there's excessive wear on the high speed clutch plate teeth -

IMG_20191229_162638.jpg

This is both sides of the sliding clutch (took a pic, spun it 180*, took another pic).

IMG_20191229_162733.jpg IMG_20191229_162736.jpg

I also found that when spinning the sliding clutch by hand, and pulling on it, to simulate shifting it while rolling, it again wanted to cam out in one direction but hooked up in the other direction. I tried flipping the high speed clutch plate around, and then the sliding clutch has positive engagement in both directions as expected. I thought about just leaving the plate flipped, and putting it back together. However, I noticed the service manual stated that the clutch plate teeth have a 15* chamfer on one side, and a 35* chamfer on the other, and to ensure that it is installed in a specific direction, so I didn't know if flipping the plate would just trade one set of problems for another.

9. K5_489

K5_489 Bobtail Member

Dec 30, 2019
    That was a score, thanks! Geoff sent a copy of the parts book, which I was able to use to confirm that a Ford clutch plate I found on eBay would work in my axle as well. $29 shipped!

I haven't yet found a similarly cheap sliding gear, but I suspect that the wear on mine isn't nearly enough to be concerned about yet. Almost makes me wonder if a PO hadn't already tried replacing the sliding gear in an attempt to get the axle to shift properly, maybe getting a few more miles out of it before selling it to me, lol.

Either way, I'm not complaining, and I'm looking forward to getting this old iron up and going again. Thanks much!

OLDSKOOLERnWV and SmallPackage Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.