any grab n' go (healthy) meal options?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by karsen, Jun 21, 2017.

1. karsen

karsen Bobtail Member

Jun 21, 2017
    ANY options on the healthy side? I can't always prepare my own food beforehand or am just too lazy to do so. Wish there were prepared meals I could grab a few of just to take with me, hold me over for a few days.

See a lotta folks talkin about semi-healthy snacks to grab at the truck stops or the kinda healthy options at the fast food chains, not exactly what I'm looking for but it could do.

if anyone knows of any already prepared meal options that are ready to eat or take with you for the fridge, and are healthy please let me know

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
    why not make time to prepare things? when i was otr for 3 weeks at a time, i would make small meals like chicken, rice, veggies; steak, rice, veggies; sausage, mac n cheese, beans. freeze them, put in truck fridge and reheat in the microwave. buy snacks like fruit, granola bars, nuts, pb crackers, popcorn, yogurt, jerky, etc. from walmart or grocery stores, truckstop items are overpriced. im local now so what i do is make a small fruit salad for a noonish snack, a sandwich and tortilla chips for lunch.

4. xsetra

xsetra Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2011
    Mre's

Bison and Razorwyr Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Grab a stack of small racks. No more than two inches high and no wider than your fridge.

toss something into those #### things, Chop some bagged or canned potatoes, ham, small baby onions and a little bit of broth or gravy to tastel

Stop by a butcher and have him saw off a 8 pound ham or similar hopefully without a bone in it and easier to keep and maintain as you eat on it each day of the work week. At some point the week is over and you would have had a adequate meat ration provided you had potatoes and or bread etc among other things to help the body to proces it.

laziness is no excuse. Lazy people starve because they refuse to put in 10 minutes work in prep.

6. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Good advice. I also used to prep meals like that too.

7. Razorwyr

Razorwyr Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Meridian, Mississippi
    Buy a crockpot and cook while you drive. When you get done for the day, your food is ready.

8. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    I make bowl of tuna salad from home., I boil about 6 eggs., ,Pb&j loaf of white wheat bread ,. Few cans beenie weenies from DG, maybe some sliced turkey breast from rhe deli (mot that processed crap from rhe meat case) Box of healthy type cereal, milk, grapes,. Few of the things I bring from home. Other then coffee from truck stops , I drink mostly bottle water. I spend at best $30 a week on the road that's including my coffee and usually don't pay for that (points or free refills on loyalty cards)

9. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    I buy one hot meal a week on the road at a decent restaurant. I Don't eat truck stop crap .

10. 8thnote

8thnote Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Chattanooga, TN
    ^This statement was immediately preceded by :

I am confused.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    ChancesRGood, Bison and cnsper Thank this.
  11. #1don

#1don Medium Load Member

Mar 26, 2013
    somewhere down south
    LOL.... Yeah guess your right. But....but it is protein

8thnote Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.