Any heavy haulers here?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by LoneRanger, Dec 2, 2018.

1. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Yep, Eddie Guerrero slipped and found out the hard way.

PPDCT and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ABfish

ABfish Bobtail Member

Nov 8, 2017
    I think the construction company route is the easiest. They're always looking for dump truck drivers. Ask to work around the shop on rainy days and assist with equipment moves. Maybe drive a dump trailer for a while. If you're conscientious and reliable, you'll be moving equipment in short order.

Biggest advantage of a construction company: you could do many moves a day, and get experience on many different types of equipment in a short while.

DrDieselUSA, Oxbow, beastr123 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Exactly right. Companies are always on the make for somebody with ambition and common sense.
    If you show any initiative at all, listen to what you're told, and don't wreck anything you'll be miles ahead of a lot of guys who think they want to do heavy jaul.

Oxbow and beastr123 Thank this.
  5. fast1buzz

fast1buzz Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2019
    colorado
    Did this for many years. First you should know how to operate the machinery your hauling. I often wondered when and how that machine got on the job in the morning ? After some thought gee somebody brought it there in the dark. As far as doing the driving that's only about 5% of the job plus for some reason these contractors seem to believe that you move them for free. Yes you can definitely be home every day but that only starts the game. Welcome to the real world of local heavy haul.!!!!!

authentic251 Thanks this.
  6. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    If you’re scared to move without a permit stay home. Unless you’re in a self issue state or one the offers a decent blanket

SAR, Oxbow, Razororange and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I take it you feel that’s a necessity in your business?

Tb0n3 and Humblepie Thank this.
  8. Troy_

Troy_ Heavy Load Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    it sure isn't in mine. here in Alberta it's easy to get a permit either by phone or online in minutes right from the truck. just not worth the risk to run on the highway without.

Tb0n3, Oxbow, Arkansas and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Sometimes, in South Carolina they get backed up 2,3 or more days. You can’t really justify waiting to move a machine 30 miles when they are paying a 1000 dollars a day in rent.

SAR, Oxbow and Troy_ Thank this.
  10. VantaiTatted

VantaiTatted Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Maryland
    A local tow company in my area is hiring for a heavy equipment driver. Are the tractor special types of manuals to haul the big equipment? I am sorry if that is a dumb question lol.

11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    In South Carolina the dot boys know and kinda turn a blind eye. Unless things go sideways then you’re on your own

SAR, TripleSix, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.