Any heavy haulers here?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by LoneRanger, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    the only hangup we can have here is that some of the counties require a minimum 2 hour notice of you planned travel time. makes it a pain if you're out hauling a load and someone decides "hey, since you're out here can you move this one too?"

the Alberta gov't pretty much auto approves every permit you request unless something exceeds their preset parameters, weight, height, bridge restrictions etc, it's just the counties that make some odd demands.

Oxbow and Humblepie Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Not necessarily a “dumb” question, but don’t expect to get that job with no experience.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Here they have approved truck routes online. So as long as you are there, and look like you’re professional they leave you alone. Up to 12 wide for construction and 14 wide ag and under 90k you don’t need a permit period. Problem is I’m generally well over the 90k threshold. And we ain’t waiting 3 day for a 10 dollar permit. Like I said some of this stuff is costing 1-1200 a day or more in rent. Don’t say I like doing it, but it’s done lots.

SAR, johndeere4020 and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    it's pretty rare to get hassled by them around here doing heavy haul, you get the odd newbie officer that stops everything until his fellow officers let him know he's making them look bad by working too hard lol

Oxbow and Humblepie Thank this.
  6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The hardest part of doing local HH work is learning to operate a lot of different kinds of machinery well enough to load and unload it without breaking something expensive.
    The people who own whatever you're hauling don't want it torn up.
    You'll also have to work at a pretty fast pace some days to get everything done. Not a crazy pace, just a fast one. That's where being able to load and unload the machinery comes into play.

Oxbow, LoneCowboy and Humblepie Thank this.
  7. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I get a lot of work from companies just because they know they can call me to get their equipment without them having to send a man out to start or load it. there are some pieces that the operators refuse to load. I prefer it that way, just because a guy is good running a machine on the ground doesn't mean he can load. they are often times too rambunctious.

these log loaders are a good example, once the cab is raised it's very difficult to see where you are on the trailer while loading, especially up over the beavertails. 20181124_122915.jpg

truckdad and Oxbow Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    The minute I see someone running the tracks on an excavator with their hands I get nervous, but I have seen a lot of transport drivers do well using their hands. Don't ask them to move dirt smoothly and efficiently, but they know how to load safely.

SAR, MACK E-6, wore out and 5 others Thank this.
  9. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I can’t stand using the handles to move the tracks, one of our 200’s has the bottom of the right pedal broken so you have to use the levers some and I hate it.

SAR, wore out, Oxbow and 1 other person Thank this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    you've just described me to a T. I just can't get the hang of using only my feet to load anything on tracks. some machines are easier than others. the ones I don't like are the ones with pedals only. argh...most I have to reach down and use my hands

11. Humblepie

Humblepie Pontificator

Dec 25, 2018
    Some of the wore out stuff I get a hold of it’s easier to use the handles. Each side seems to move at a different speed.

SAR, MACK E-6, IH Truck Guy and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.