Any heavy haulers here?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by LoneRanger, Dec 2, 2018.

1. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    Seems like there aren’t many people left that have seen one at all.

SAR, Humblepie, Ruthless and 4 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I wish I hadn't. still have an old 235 and 245 I have to move once in a while. they should be in a museum with the other dinosaurs.

Humblepie, Ruthless and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. IH Truck Guy

IH Truck Guy Road Train Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Purgatory
    Haha you'd be nervous around me..... I'm not a operator and I gotta use the sticks.
    After I spun the 2nd track hoe off my wagon using my feet I learned my lesson .
    A man has got to know his limitations.. lol

beastr123, wore out, SAR and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I leave the decision with our equipment up to the transport driver if we aren't hauling it ourselves. Most prefer doing it themselves.

I will say that hauling articulating haul trucks is much easier having someone to guide. Sometimes I get them right first try, but sometimes I am on and off the trailer several times trying to get them straight. Amazing how much they'll walk sideways if the trailer isn't flat.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    wore out, SAR, MACK E-6 and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I load them backwards, with the box up slightly to see where the back wheels are on the trailer. the 40 ton Cats I can see the fenders on my lowbed to tell me I'm straight. but when it's slippery with mud or snow, they are exciting.

[​IMG]

cke, LoneCowboy, wore out and 5 others Thank this.
  7. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I've seen plenty, but never had the opportunity to run one.

I have run some P&H, Warner Swassey, and an old air over hydraulic Link Belt. Don't really miss any of those.

cke, beastr123, wore out and 3 others Thank this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    That trailer is wider than mine. 740s I only get about half the tire width on the trailer. You're cheating! lol

cke, wore out, SAR and 4 others Thank this.
  9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    The only machine that totally beat me and I had to call for help with was a big four wheeled curb and gutter layer. It had about six rows of toggle switches, some spring loaded and some not, all kinds of extra switches and levers and bare wires with the ends twisted together, hydraulic levers, and not a one of any of them was marked.
    I finally got it started but trying ro run it in a straight line was like trying to pat your head, rub your stomach, and skip rope all at the same time.
    Plus it was raining and spitting snow and my ramps and deck were wet.
    No way was I going to load that thing. I called for the operator and he came right out. He made it look easy. He followed me to their shop and unloaded it too. He'd run that machine since it was new and when all the labels were worn off he already had everything memorized. Job security I guess.

cke, wore out, Humblepie and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    hahaha I had an old 10' wide Peerless before this Aspen, I had to beg my pa to order it wider...so he got it 10'6". jeez...thanks Dad. I'd go at least 11' now. 12' would be so nice, but they won't fit through a lot of the old bailey bridges on some of the old oilfield roads.

cke, wore out, Ruthless and 2 others Thank this.
  11. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Hah, an old feller buncher about licked me once. That thing didn't work like an excavator at all!

cke, wore out, SAR and 5 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.