Any home daily or weekly jobs in georgia?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Jardo87, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Jardo87

Jardo87 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I love my job as a truck driver. I've only been doing it going on 5 months now. I'm gone 3 to 5 weeks and the money is great. But I didn't realize how much toll it would take out on my family. I live in Lagrange Ga and I'm looking for something to where I can be home on a daily basis. Worst case scenario be home every weekend but I think that is too much to ask because my kids are taking it rough of me being gone so much. If anyone has any information on dedicated or local companies near south west Atlanta please contact me. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Old Dominion Freight Lines hires new cdl grads, so you should be good to go there. Those line haul jobs pay really well.
    upload_2018-7-8_9-52-57.jpeg [​IMG]

4. Jardo87

Jardo87 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2018
  5. some other trucker

some other trucker Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2018

If you are still under a year of having your license you may be able to test for and add individual endorsements without having to take all of the tests again. If you are past the first year, then you may have to take all tests again to add endorsements to your license. Hopefully someone will correct me if this has changed.

You will have many more opportunities open to you if you add these additional endorsements.

Jardo87 Thanks this.
  6. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    well, get them.....simple as that. This site has practice tests on it and if you study, take the practice tests until you can pass them multiple times, you'll be in good shape.
    You'll need to go to Columbus to get your background check done.

Mike2633, Naptown, Sho Nuff and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Get all the endorsements.
    The test questions and answers are on here. Scroll to the top of this page and click on "CDL Practice Tests" and memorize as much as you can.
    You'll need those endorsements to work for Old Dominion and similar companies.
    Love's Truck Stops owns Gemini Motor Transport and they'd probably hire you if you get the endorsements.
    upload_2018-7-8_11-19-53.jpeg [​IMG]

Radman and Jardo87 Thank this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Food service is local and may not require endorsements but those jobs are a lot of repetitive physical work and often nights, which may not be better for your family.

ODFL as Chinatown recommended, is an LTL company. There is a dedicated LTL and Local forum right here to do research, other companies are Fedex Freight, UPS Freight, Estes, and then some are more likely to be entry level and have various issues like cameras, XPO, SAIA, and YRC are lesser choices. There are also contractors who hire for Fedex Ground, they require 1 year because Fedex does, although some lie about that for you.

LTL's will require all endorsements (XT) but the tests are not hard. Hazmat took me less than 5 minutes, a lot less time than having my prints taken, and cost $10, but the prints/background are about $90. Spend that and half an hour at DMV and you will open a lot of doors.

Basically, if you see a set of double trailers or a pup (28') single around town or on the highway, note the name of the company and see if they have openings.

If you have a clean background, go here first... HAZMAT Endorsement

Start the background ASAP, it's pretty quick now, mine was less than a week, someone on here posted they got theirs in a day or so.

Then take the practice tests here over and over until you can get high 90's every time. I always took the full tests, which you have to dig for, but then you can bookmark the first question and it will reload a test each time. Also search for CDL tests for your state, those will have questions more focused on what your DMV is using this year. The tests here are great for general learning, but each state has their own ringers.

Or you can try dump truck, construction, equipment rental places, bulk materials (but some run doubles), ag firms, or straight truck companies that don't do hazmat.

Jardo87 Thanks this.
  9. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Loves is expanding like crazy. I’ve seen 4 new truck stops here near Denver might be like this across the US.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Sho Nuff

Sho Nuff Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2015
    As a fairly new driver with less than a year experience...it's gonna be difficult to find a good local job. Most of the local jobs that do hire new drivers is because they have a high turnover rate. Foodservice and beverage are physically demanding work. LTL P&D can be physically demanding as well...and some of the places you have to deliver to...in all 3 fields...require city driving skills...skills that require you to make TIGHT turns, be able to back into TIGHT areas , how to fight TIGHT traffic...TIGHT everything...and new drivers usually can't hack the physical aspects of the job...or can't stand the long hours...or irregular schedule...or don't have the skills yet for city driving...and thus the high turnover rate.

If you can hang in for at least a year...watch that door open up as far as opportunities. Put in 2 or more...and the door will be even wider. If staying a year isn't an option...I would probably recommend going with LTL. They all practically higher new students or have a dock to driver program. Good luck.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Draft saved Draft deleted