any ideas on how to do pullups otr? (thought bout mirrors but don't want to break)

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Joe4167, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Joe4167

Joe4167 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hey, I did over the road before and I got totally out of shape, now I've gotten a temporary local job delivering LTL loads and unloading trucks BY HAND WITH ROLLERS.

I'm in great shape now, but this is a temp job and I'm going to go back over the road for Schneider real soon.

I do not want to get out of shape again. Not only that, I wouldn't mind being in the best shape of my life. I know that OTR doesn't have to limit people to being in terrible shape, I've seen incredibly muscular & RIPPED truckers at truck stops.

One time I threw away a burger I had just bought when I went back to the fuel island to hop in my truck and I saw some super-fit driver there and thought... um... yeah... what the H#$#$L happened to me???

Back in high school I used to run a lot. I worked out like crazy. I had a boxing bag in the basement. A workout machine. Free weights.

I invented workouts every day of the week anywhere I was I was making up workouts.

I want to be in that kind of shape again.

But on the road it's really tough.

A lot of stuff can be thought up, but the big problem over the road is obviously CONSISTENCY since the schedule is so random.

And WHERE YOU ARE you may have something you can do workout A or B, but not C.

If it's a C-workout day (let's say C workouts involve pullups), and you can't do pullups because there's nothing around u to do them with... than how are you supposed to do them?

----

It's not just pullups... it's everything like this... how do you get super freaking ripped and bulked up on the road???

Please let me know what you do to stay in shape, and if you know the pullup answer... that would be cool to.

CorsairFanboy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Joe4167

Joe4167 Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I have P90X, but doing it at truck stops and stuff is tough, and having equipment 2 do it in truck is tough.

P90X (to get the results they advertise) works... but you can't skip free weights.

And to do supersets that means lots of different weight.

Not much space in a truck, and companies don't like people carrying excessive weight in a sleeper because they want that weight available for the load. (not like it effects the truck, but it does go against axle weight and the gross).

4. dave26027

dave26027 Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Dallas, Texas
    Use the edge of the upper bunk. If you have a stand-up cab some models have the storage shelf above the seats.

5. jellybean

jellybean Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Central MD
    Try "Insanity" its similar to P90X but its all cardio so you don't need free weights.

6. AZS

AZS Honk if anything falls off

Sep 30, 2010
    PHX, AZ
    Borrow the side of a flatbed

Texas_hwy_287 and Big_D409 Thank this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    OR, you could just relax and let time and age take its course. Unfortunately though, that does lead to other problems later in life. . .:biggrin_25513:

8. The Breeze

The Breeze Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Fayetteville, NC
    Depending on what the inside of your cab will be like, I'd imagine that you could cut a couple of feet off of a load lock and brace it securely somehow against the walls or inside of the cabinets maybe. Perhaps it could also be used as some type of pulley device for lifting free weights?

hmmm.... you got me thinking. I'll have to take the ole hacksaw on my next run and see what I can come up with. I'll post pictures if I do ; - )

9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    The best thing I can think of is an etrack load bar ,but A. you have to have log posts or etrack in the trailer. B. if the trailer is sealed no working out.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  10. Eaton18

Eaton18 Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Waverly, KS
    How about manufacturing a pull-up bar using Schedule-40 PVC? The bar itself would need to be 1-1/2 or 2" . You could make up a stand using PVC. It would take 3 pieces of pipe for the Frame (2-uprights, 1-cross/pull-up bar). Make the stand out of 3-way or T-intersections, smaller shorter pieces for the stand legs, and some caps. Light weight, can be disassembled and stored. Just a thought..

11. Shoestring

Shoestring Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lehigh Fl
    You mean something like this
    Looks like it could be easily taken apart, and stored in the sleeper. Probably only take a minute or two to set up.

[​IMG]

Best Portable Outdoor-Indoor Pull-Up Bar: All-in-One Stand Alone Pull-Up Bar by Trapeze
    Average User Rating:[​IMG]

Portable, durable, and able to hold up to 350lbs, this rugged piece of equipment can also adjust to different heights. It's perfect for indoor and outdoor use and it won't rust! Special hand grips allow you to do dips. Read Review

zebcohobo Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.