Any info on Purdy Brothers in Loudon, TN?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by JGoose, Aug 24, 2017.

1. JGoose

JGoose Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Anybody have some basic info on Purdy Brothers in Loudon, TN? Average miles/week, hometime, equipment?

I have over 10 years experience but I've been out of the truck for 4 years now. It's been hard to find a company that will give me an opportunity without having to go through some sort of "trucking 101" training while riding with a trainer for an extended period for minimal pay. Purdy Bros is offering me a position but before I sign up, I'd like to hear from a driver...not just a recruiter! Anybody???

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WCA64T

WCA64T Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Purdy was a really good family run reefer company, but in late 2014, P&S Transportation purchased Purdy Brothers and sister operation Loudon County Trucking. How Purdy is now will depend a lot on the new management.

Purdy stopped running the West Coast/Northwest after Maremount closed it's Loudon facility around 2007 or so. It had been auto parts out and produce back east. Under P&S, Purdy might be running all 48 again.

Used to be 225 Freightliners, first Centurys and then Columbias, traded every 3 years. Around 80 owner operators (not lease operators!) supplemented the fleet. All Great Danes with Thermo King reefers, traded around 7 years.

Late 2000s, after trying a few Volvos and Internationals, trade cycles on the Columbias started getting longer, and engines were being rebuilt in house. New Coronado gliders began coming into the fleet.

First new Cascadia Evolotions started arriving in 2014. These were delivered in Purdy's traditional blue color and were in the 42-xxx series.

After P&S bought Purdy, Cascadias continued arriving, but were plain white, spec'd by P&S. The all Great Dane reefer fleet began being replaced by Utility trailers with Carrier units.

There have been a lot of changes at Purdy Brothers recently. Looking into how P&S operates its companies would be a good way to get a feel for the new ownership.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Lonesome and JGoose Thank this.
  4. JGoose

JGoose Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info. I was drawn to them in the first place because of the "small-family owned company" mentality. Sometimes after being bought out by a larger fleet, their mentality (drivers seen and treated as easily replaceable) takes over. That's definitely not what I'm looking for.

5. WCA64T

WCA64T Bobtail Member

Feb 13, 2014
    You're welcome. I definitely wouldn't count Purdy Brothers out though. It may still have that small company mentality to some extant since it's operated separately from P&S. Looking for info on how P&S operates might shed some light on their management philosophy. P&S, I believe, also owns another reefer company out of Georgia. They are letting the individual companies maintain their own identities at least.

In any event, it sounds like it would be a great way for you to get some recent experience without having to fool with being retrained. So that right there is an advantage.

6. Bingoswife

Bingoswife Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2017
    My husband works for Purdy and I ride with him. We love Purdy. Yes, they are like family. We get great miles and we are treated like a person, not just a number. We stay out about 4 weeks at a time but you can get home more often if you want- they leave it up to you. We have gone as Far East as Kansas City.

JGoose Thanks this.
  7. JGoose

JGoose Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    Thanks Bingoswife. That's good to hear. However, most companies treat you okay if you're willing to stay out for a month at a time. With my family where we are in life right now, I need to be home more often than that. I'm hoping for more like 7-10 days out/ 2-3 days home. Where is your home terminal? I'm scheduled for orientation next week so I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and give them a shot.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  8. racemaxx24

racemaxx24 Heavy Load Member

Jul 4, 2014
    East TN
    Where are you located in TN?

9. JGoose

JGoose Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    racemaxx24 - I'm close to Knoxville....so about 30-45 mins from the Loudon terminal. Why?

10. Danny s

Danny s Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2019
    JGOOSE ARE YOU STILL WITH PURDY BROTHERS

11. JGoose

JGoose Bobtail Member

Aug 22, 2017
    Tennessee
    No. I was with them six months before deciding to start a hot shot business. They have newer tractors, good miles & hometime, knowledgeable dispatchers, and they still have that small company/family vibe going on...at least that was my experience from a year ago.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.