Any info on TSMT out of Joplin, MO

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by gracielou, May 20, 2009.

1. gracielou

gracielou Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    We are a team and are going to orientation tuesday. We already have security clearance, but our company does not have enough freight. We have been averaging about 600 mi a week and are going broke. TSMT sounds like a good company.:biggrin_255:

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I only know that company from military loads. They hauled alot of explosives and missiles for the Navy up in WA. Now this was a few years ago but talking to the drivers they are a top company. Of course things may have changed but they do run nice equipment. Plus they were on the Discovery Channel for hauling hazmat. I would definitely check them out. Sorry I couldn't help more but in my opinion it's a job you shouldn't pass up until you see it for yourselves.

4. gracielou

gracielou Bobtail Member

May 10, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thank you for the info. every little bit helps. We have hauled A&E for the past year, and are use to that.

5. heyns57

heyns57 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2006
    near Kalamazoo Speedway
    For whatever it's worth, TSMT has a fine tradition based on the days they had both Teamster company drivers and non-union lease operators. Before the strike in 1970 when the union was de-certified, TSMT was the most efficient truckload carrier with an operating ratio of 76, and the only hazmat hauler on the list of the Top 100. I think they ranked about 50th in gross revenue. After Vietnam, they have had several owners and came back from bankruptcy. I couldn't tell you what it is like to work for them today.

6. Suptrkr

Suptrkr Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Bentonville, AR
    This is a really old post. but, is there any current solo drivers at TSMT and could they share the good and bad with us? (miles, home time dispatch etc. )

7. keithstark1

keithstark1 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Arlington, TX
    Well, I could spend quite a while, but I will try to cover the unbiased nitty gritty. The following info refers to teams only, as I have never driven solo here. Depending on your experience, the base rate for teams is .56 per mile split. This is mainly hauling commercial explosives, and military ammunition. They also pay an extra .40 split for secret loads. Those require a dod clearance. Solo drivers rarely haul anything like that due to security policies. They mainly do flatbed. Teams are out for 21/4 minimum. The mileage is lower than what your used to. The bases and depots are generally m-f affairs. You should expect to spend weekends at various truck stops waiting to get loaded. THIS IS NOT A GET RICH JOB. They do pay layover, but it amounts to 45 per driver per day. They pay detention at 10/hr after the first two. You will only average 3,000 to 4,000 miles per week on the road. This is due to the fact that loading is usually during 9-5 hours. A team will probably make a little over 50,000 a person. They do not pay for breakdowns, holidays, or deadheading home. They will pay you to deadhead to work, and between loads. The equipment is on the older side, but is maintained to the maximum. I personally have never seen an engine on a 5 year old truck so spotless. My truck uses no oil, and leaks nothing. Every time I have an issue, the shop has responded immediately. I didn't like the radio, so they ordered a new one. The trucks are all Peterbilts. New drivers get older trucks. The older ones are too cramped for a team, but the new ones have larger sleepers. The trucks all have apu's, fridges, and inverters. They also provide a cb on request. The trailers are all old, but well maintained. We haul a mixture of vans, flatbeds, goosenecks, and the occasional constenoga. The people are all very nice, and they have a very casual feel to them. The work is very serious, and you have to have the right attitude to succeed here. They teach an excellent hazmat course that does not cut corners. Generally speaking, they leave you alone. You will be tracked constantly while pulling some of these loads. You had better be able to deal with that. Sometimes you will be followed by military people. They will report you for bad driving. There is also a matter of the clearance. Everything about you will be checked going back at least 10 years. The application is 127 pages, and it better stand up. They do allow a pet, but they deposit is a bear. It is 1500 dollars. That is about all I can think of right now, but feel free to ask anything else. It may take me a little while to reply, but I will.

heyns57 and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  8. Oi!

Oi! Road Train Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    My dad worked for them in the early 80s, I still have one of their old key chains with one of their cabovers engraved in brass. I know the company went through many owners and bankruptcies, nowadays you can still see them pull a lot of hazmat, many long nose Petes hauling explosives... I saw one of their terminals somewhere in Idaho. Don't know much else about them.

9. Blanche

Blanche Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2012
    Sacramento California
    Been around a long time! Top notch company!

10. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    My wife and I worked for them for 8 months. We left because the operations manager, Brother Fred, threatened to put lies about us on our DAC reports all because we didn't want to take a load of explosives into Canada because we didn't know the rules up there. Fred said he would show that we quit while under a load. We were on a different load at the time, hadn't picked up the Canada load yet, when Fred told us this. I don't like liars! We did take that load into Canada for them and when we came back they wanted us to go and run several runs into Quebec for them so we told them to get us a load back to Joplin and they can have their truck.

We left TSMT and went to R&R and were treated much better and happier there.

blairandgretchen Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.