Any logic to this?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by valorandarms, Dec 17, 2007.

1. valorandarms

valorandarms Bobtail Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Bucks County, PA
    I need a training company.
    Searching posts on here and other forums I feel like a dog chasing it's tail. I read one stellar thread, then on to the next thread about how the same company pillaged and plundered and now my DAC record.... etc.
    I watch very closely the freight that moves through this part of pa, and there are some regulars, Swift, Prime, Werner, Covenant, for the most part. I never see ROEHL, W&S, few SNI, no PAM or Star. (NO ENGLAND)
    Do you think there is ANY logic in taking into consideration the carriers that consistently pass through the vicinity of where I would want to be for TAH?

Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. valorandarms

Aug 4, 2007
    Bucks County, PA
    Could it be that this core group of newbie carriers are following each one around in a circle in the 309-202-313 triangle?

4. Mtn.Momma

Mtn.Momma Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Northwest USA
    Sure, there is some logic to your train of thoughts and in observing which trucking companys flow through your area. I can understand why you'd be asking your question.
    But here's a few other things to consider:

What large Distribution Centers are close to you?
    Warehouses...Wal-Mart?...Fed-EX?...General Mills?...Exercise Equipment Plants?...Paper mills?...this list could go on and on.
    (Do you see what I mean?)

The other trucking companys you mentioned, DO, in fact run there or through there too.
    ALL trucking companys go to where the freight dictates.
    Also the flow of freight changes with the needs of consumers, the seasons, and demands.

A trucking company might contract 1, or 100 loads to be delivered to a certain spot (warehouse). Then after that is complete, they might have 1,000 loads delivering 300 miles from there, or maybe in the next state.

Some loads (runs) are dedicated (always there). While others are fluid flowing, and happen according to supply and demand.

So if you'll let your fingers do the walking, be it via the Internet, or the phone book, you'll find a trucking company that will run in or through your area.

In doing your research, take your time. Ask questions, like...
    How often can I expect to get home?
    Do you have a Regional Fleet or division in my area? (That is if you don't want to run National-48 States.)
    Can I take the truck home with me on my home time?

All the companys you mentioned are large. Most of them, and others, have Local, Regional, and National divisions.
    Don't hesitate to call them and ask questions.
    They ALL have people (recruiters) that get paid to give you answers, and help place you in a position that will fit your needs.

Good Luck! :reindeer:

5. Mtn.Momma

Mtn.Momma Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Northwest USA
    I forgot to mention....

If a Company has a contract for (example) 100 loads, and delivers them...
    you'll see a lot of their trucks in the area.
    Then...
    The next 100 load contract comes up for Bid, and another company under-bids the first company...chances are the second company will be seen hauling the next 100 loads through there.

Just Food For Thought.

6. valorandarms

Aug 4, 2007
    Bucks County, PA
    Thank you for taking the time to reply with such a detailed post! I had no idea about the bid system in terms of which company is awarded a particular number of loads. I guess basically there is "no logic" in trying to select a training company based on the carriers I see moving through my area.
    Thanks Again

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.