Any one have no "home" for home time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by COBB2070, Jul 17, 2018.

1. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Thanks for the replies. I'll actually have a place to stay back east, It's just when the inevitable happens, I won't have much of a reason to go back home. Actually @CK73 I plan on moving somewhat permanently back here in the west. I figure drive as much as I can and save all the beans. Maybe in 5-6 years, give or take, buy some land in Bishop, or Bridgeport CA, or just over the NV border between State Line and Carson City. Being a Vet, I get the discount at a number of places, I've stayed at a Motel 6 in Reno for $47/night +tax. And I plan on selling my Trooper when I leave for school, so a used 24'-27' Class C would work for a few years. Where I live now there's plenty of overnight street parking for RV's (and campgrounds at the beach) and it's $15/day to park at Huntington State Beach. Thanks again all....

IluvCATS and laaylor Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Carlisle, PA is where the terminal is located,family is just NW of Pittsburgh,PA in Beaver County.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    This subject has been on here many times in several threads.
    Several different ways to do it, such as sharing a cheap condo with several other drivers, just to have an address for the cdl. In fact, when that conversation was going on I found a cheap condo for sale for $20K in Las Vegas and thought maybe a few guys could pitch in and buy it. No income taxes or food taxes in Nevada.
    I just looked at www.propertyvegas.com and this one popped up and the price is $1.00 and don't know if that's a misprint or not on the price. Can't be right because the earnest money is $2500.00
    3031 MCLEOD Drive,
    Las Vegas, Nevada 89121
    Price: $1
    Listing ID 2012743 3 Bedrooms 2 Full Baths 1,766 SqFt 0.170 Acres
    [​IMG]
    Anyway, at the time we were hot on this subject, there was several condos for sale for between $20K and $30K. Looked like a couple of motels that were converted to condo's.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    IluvCATS and COBB2070 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I had a little family. (We were 300+ living when got my Class A that day in the DMV. By the end of day we were down to about roughly 15 or so who still believed I should go and do what I think best for work in life. The rest simply decided they were not going to deal with a deaf family member on the road with a 18 wheeler. In short I got something that I wanted, but I lost quite a few people doing it.

That's fine. Anything needs doing, I have to do it alone. Story of my life.

The cab is the office, the sleeper is the home. Otherwise periods of unemployment (Paid or not) is something that is best hired on to someone else and get out of there. (The ancestral home ground)

Ultimately I made a home here in Arkansas of all places over 20 years now. It is probably for better or worse a great place to live considering how rotted out and violence prone Bodymore Murderland (Baltimore Maryland) has become.

What's interesting is that all others who are in a position to do so in the family that is going into it's second generation from myself with brother and sister's children are emigrating from Maryland as well to other better more profitable places around the Country. I could reach a little bit and consider Maryland a failed state. But I won't bite the hand that provided me a education and thus my freedom knowing the alternative they were working on at that level when I was 6 years old.

I can say that There was times here and there around the USA I would have married and made a home right here somewhere. That would be something. But when something isn't right it's not right.

IluvCATS, COBB2070 and Puppage Thank this.
  6. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    When I did a refresher, my parents let me keep using their address for my CDL and my mail collected there.

Sometimes I would take home time at motels or if I felt like saving money and the weather was mild, just sleep in the and use the drivers lounge. My company also owns a truck stop and I get discounts at the restaurant.

I'm yard spotting now, but want to relocate and might set this up again with relatives down south. I'm sick of the winter here and the April Blizzard was ridiculous.

7. COBB2070

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    Thanks for the replies. I was going to ask how it works if you don't have a "home" address for mail, CDL, etc. I know there's services for full time RV'ers that set them up with an address for their licence, registration, insurance, and mail. And I'm not positive, but when I first moved here to CA, I believe I read that you can use a PO box as the address on your license. But if you register a vehicle, you need to list a physical address as well on the form along with the PO. I'll have to call and ask the recruiter.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  8. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    www.escapees.com can set you up with a Texas address which puts you in a good location for trucking. No personal income taxes in Texas.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You can still rent them by the hour up here

OP can adapt, it’s not my thing, yet

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    No-Tell Motel

COBB2070 and tommymonza Thank this.
  11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    This forum never ceases to amaze me.

I had a terminal manager who decided my home is a truck stop in Denver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.