Any truck stops closing because of quarantine orders?

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by Infosaur, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Actually aren't any scales once you get on the Turnpike. Unless there are actually scales at the booth? I've always suspected, but was never sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Don't know how they do it now. Been years since I was in Pa but they used to have scales built into the road at the cash boxes that determined your class, and, as such, your tolls. Since they still have different classes by weight as well and number of axles they must still have a way to weigh you to determine this. Or course I could be wrong too. Wouldn't be the first time.

4. Infosaur

Well I was thinking more along the lines of I've never heard of anybody being stopped at a toll plaza for having 35k on the drives.

Update: the shower at Dansville NY has no toilet paper. So I wiped my ### with the coupons for the Country Pride that they won't honor because "dine in only".

One does what one must.

5. amberfeldt

amberfeldt Light Load Member

May 20, 2019
    Minnesota
    LOL unreal. potra potty. yeah the germ stops there fellas. Hey enjoy picking up the extra increase on poop bags an trucker bombs

6. 7448zoey

7448zoey Bobtail Member

Mar 31, 2020
    I am a 71 year old driver take blood pressure pills, a little overweight, but basically healthy, Just got back into driving 6 months ago, I have been home for 14 day quarantine due to unsafe practices by shippers/receivers. I wanted to makes sure I was ok. I got a cold and cough while home, no fever and feel ok. Due to go back April 6. Mostly Western states. Am thinking about the risks, my age, if showers are safe or open, running out of food. where do you go if you get sick? Before I leave do you have any advice? Stay home? Go? How to be safe...would appreciate your input. Been home 2 weeks feeling pretty sate. I am a company driver so I have no truck payments to make. Is it worth the risk?

7. Infosaur

It's up to you boss. No job is worth your life but there's still work out here. Pay isn't really getting better in spite of demand and you're gonna be in your rig 24/7 because there's almost no place for you to go.

For now truck stops still have showers, but bathrooms are,,, uncommon. I'm hearing stories of shippers/receivers not letting us use the bathroom or wash up. No sit down restaurants, take out is available but bathrooms? In the east we have a few convenience store chains that have bathrooms and hot meals. Oh and parking is getting hard to come by.

My advice? Run local/regional in area you know for now. Don't be more than a full tank of fuel from home because there are major macro economic issues under the surface and if you get caught 800 miles from home there might not be public transportation back.

8. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Poop in a bag and throw it out the window as you go by the rest area.

Max Mulsanne Thanks this.
  9. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    But they won’t because the Big Carriers are running trucking plus refusing to work would go on your work record so if you got Laid of for refunding to work who would give you a New job

10. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I think if you stated you were self isolated due to illness, that is different than "refusing to work." So laid off for health, not refusing.

11. Infosaur

Yeah, if there's one good thing about the response to this pandemic, it's we finally have an out from unscrupulous trucking companies.

A bad outfit will starve you of loads until you quit. Making you ineligible for unemployment. Then they'll sully your DAC so you can't find another job.

We've seen the sob stories time and time again.

Now it's like, "I felt ill, and they had me transporting food. So I refused and entered self quarantine."

Not just food though, you could cough on a box and infect an entire warehouse. That's how mad it is.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.