Any truth to this for 2020 trucks ?? Mandated Crash detection system?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by HD_Renegade, Dec 12, 2018.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I personally think it'll make things more difficult- No way could I ever have that kind of assistance(Or lackthere of) While im driving....That throws off my Driving Habits.

Just Like these E-logs......I don't care what anyone says, Those Add Stress to your already stressful day-Running Legal or Not-don't Matter,

like TripleSix says.........Its a cattleprod for the Zombified generation that takes over.....
    Not saying Everyone...But I tell ya,From What I see, Not too good.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    Definitely a new breed of drivers out there these days, and some of them are pretty scary too.

4. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    Wish they could mandate, every device is dead. While driving, want to text. Park, want to adjust your app's park.. Drive when driving.
    Man the good old days, when we had pay phones everywhere. Dispatch could only get us. When we found a payphone and called them.
    But I did have one stupid enough. (1984)He Called Vermont Troopers. Had them chase me down, and call home. I had a family Emergency.( he had found a load after telling me on Friday to head home to Tn) His head and my fist were sore for a few days. I beat him stupid when I got in.

5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I think it’s only a matter of time until it’s mandated. The big fleets are seeing too high of a reduction in crashes and they have a much more powerful lobbying position than small fleets and owner operators. I read something from Schneider awhile back that said they had a 90% reduction in rear end collisions. I’d ask 90% of what? Not too mention the average experience level of those having the accidents and their average turnover and maybe that’s the cause, but what do I know? All that matters to government is that headline, “This technology reduces collisions by 90%.” What politician would pass on the opportunity to get their name on something that reduces crashes by 90%?

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  6. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Only sex robots

7. HD_Renegade

HD_Renegade Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2010
    North Carolina
    I have to think that is due to the fact most are to the point of just putting a warm breathing body with a CDL behind the wheel of the tractor.

8. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Does anybody have any actual facts on whether or not the collision avoidance systems really reduce accidents?
    By facts I don't mean self serving propaganda from a trucking company.
    There must be some studies made by private entities or the government. I'd like to see them
    And just for the record, I think all that stuff is foolish. Drivers won't pay as much attention. They'll just wait for the buzzers to go off to tell them they're screwing up..

InTooDeep, x1Heavy, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    There is none.
    Our trucks have had the vorad system and lane departure systems for a few years. Hasn’t prevented jack.
    What they do is breed complacency. And are nothing more than an irritation.
    The lane departure system wants you to stay perfectly between the lines, I’m old school, I hug the fog line. So I get a bad grade from our safety department. But screw em I haven’t had a head on in 41 years of driving.

InTooDeep, x1Heavy, Oxbow and 7 others Thank this.
  10. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    I Tell ya- This Industry can't get out of it's own way!

Patiently waiting for the colossal 75 vehicle parking lot.....Hopefully with no injuries.
    And maybe a FedEX contractor twisted in the ditch will say..."A CB? We don't use those no more"

Oxbow and TripleSix Thank this.
  11. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    Just went through the same thing on I10 Pensacola. Jumped off at exit 12 and went around it. Tried to holler at some other drivers on the CB but apparently I was the only one who had one?

Bakerman Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.