Any word on heartland Express?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by chris22raymond, Oct 22, 2009.

1. chris22raymond

chris22raymond Bobtail Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Griffin G.A
    Ii am considering going with Heartland Express and was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about them.
    I have read plenty negative but there ia always a different side to every argument,and i was looking for some decent input on them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

You live in a decent area for them.

4. zipnails

zipnails Bobtail Member

Nov 21, 2009
    If your young, single and don't mind being bullshi**ed and kept under 2000 miles and never getting home.I say go for it.lol

Coastline and HappyHardCore Thank this.
  5. wesland24

wesland24 Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Macon,GA
    hey chris22 do you have any flatbed exp. ? If so i know of a company looking for drivers

6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    my only thought, they train some of their drivers to be driver/recruiters, and then when someone comes to apply the call the driver/recruiter a liar and that he/she doesn't know what they are talking about.

7. moon light

moon light Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2009
    georgia
    A friend of mine works for heartland he runs regional and gets a salary pay of $800+ every week. Tight runs though have to be on time or big problems

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I have been at heartland for a month now.
    I have talked to many drivers in different terminals.
    It looks like the majority of there freight is in the North East and Mid West. So for drivers that live in those areas home time and miles are not a problem.
    I do however run into allot of drivers from Southern Terminals in the North East, and they complain about home time and getting stuck up North.
    So I think what terminal drivers are out of and where they live has a huge impact on there miles and hometime.
    I live in the North East, and getting home is no problem at all. Also my miles are not too bad, about what they told me they would be. 2200 a week is probably around my average, and home every weekend.
    I am out of Columbus OH. And the fleet average there is 2200, so I am average.
    So far they have been honest with me, but I went in with my eyes open and with most of my information in hand.

Only big complaint I have is the inspection bays. The worst I have seen is in Chester VA. They have 2 bays open all day, and one guy working both of them. From open to close there is a line several hours long.

johnwayne187 Thanks this.
  9. jasper_truck86

jasper_truck86 Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Georgia
    I saw on their website where they pay $775/week salary w/o Hazmat for regional runs and it is available through their Atlanta terminal, which would be good for me. I don't know the specifics but I'd definitely like to look into it after I get my 1 year OTR.

10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Most of the salary regional positions have been removed with the economy.
    The drivers have been swapped to regional or system.
    I am still getting ok miles most weeks around 2500 and home for the weekend. They have been lowering the driver numbers still to try and match freight volume. Mostly by not hiring as many as they loose.
    This last week it bit them in the rear. Many drivers took time off for the Holidays and they had allot more freight than they had drivers to move it.
    Miles are up, freight is up due to less trucks and drivers.

They have 200+ new tractors that were waiting till this week to get tags, then they will be ramping up trades again, and probably hiring a little (but with first quarter always slow will not be allot).
    Average age of trucks in the fleet is 1.5 years. They have purchased 2100 prostars years 2009-2010. That will be the full fleet for now, 1.5 years ago the fleet was 2900 trucks.
    They are still a 0 debt company, all these trucks are paid for not leased.
    I think with the way they have terminals gridded, low/ no debt, and trying to match fleet size with freight that they are set up well for this year.
    Remember, this is not a full OTR company, they are short to medium haul. Even system drivers are supposed to be home 2 weekends a month. Though that is not happening as much lately due to freight.
    I will keep on trucking and ride it out and see what this new year brings.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.