Anybody have aerodynamic Flow Below wheel covers and middle piece?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Shotgun94, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    They seem to be a wise investment to get to save fuel. Does anyone have them on your truck and how are they working out for you? Also are there any shops that install these for you and how much do they charge? I would rather put them on myself on my Cascadia if it's not too hard to get the specs right so it fits correctly.
    Because I'm only getting about 6 mpg out of my truck. It has the Cummins 2250.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shotgun94

Shotgun94 Medium Load Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Georgia
    Also to mention, just ran an overhead, replaced imap and delta p, as well as put in maint free crankcase filter, and new drive tires, been driving about 62 mph

4. Socal Xpress

Socal Xpress Road Train Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Have you priced them? Dunno if it's worth it for 1 truck.

5. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I agree. All that crap is for megas to save a noticeable amount per year. Running one truck you'll never notice it. In fact, you won't be able to save enough in a year or 3 to even pay for the cost of adding them probably. I just bought a trailer with side skirts but didn't get it yet. I can't wait to find out that mileage doesn't noticeably change so I can rip them off.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I researched the flow below system heavily. Basically it's made for trucks that dont haul trailers with side skirts. If the trailer has a side skirt there's very little improvement, however if the trailer isn't equipped with one or is a tanker/flatbed then the savings is actually there. From my research it's pretty significant compared to other methods.

Cost was $1800 and that's at a freightliner dealer installed. I saw them only available at truck dealerships.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I refuse to have them.

First issue need that airflow around the brakes, I take all I can get.

Second, Skirts on trailers become a liability some of the places we have to go to loaded. There isnt enough ground clearance and a tow call will erase whatever supposed savings you have.

Third you will constantly be cleaning. No one has time for that unless you are on a 34 hour reset.

forth and biggest. The skirt under trailer makes a big sail out of it. You want that wind to be able to get under your trailer when it has to. Having a sail for a trailer in places like Texas or Wyoming is not welcome. You actually would have to add horses and work to the engine to balance the extra wind loading.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    If tire blows, you just lost your flow below plastic.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Just curious, but how are they for putting chains on? Seems like they make things pretty tight?

skellr, 86scotty and Oldironfan Thank this.
  10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you want to increase your mileage, start with the driver and their habits. Then move to the specs of the truck.

Those megas who put all that crap on their trucks save .1 mpg or maybe .3 at most, when you have 1000 trucks with that equipment on them, that adds up and makes a dent in your fuel bill but an average O/O, not really.

11. DirtyBob

DirtyBob Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Indiana
    I get what you're saying, and you would most likely get a higher increase through driver habits then anything else. That doesn't mean there's no reason to install equipment that would improve it if you already plan to because the % increase will be the same regardless. That increase will be worth a little more on a truck getting high fuel mileage, but with these numbers it doesn't add up to much difference.

They claim 2.23% increase. I would save $1000-$1200 a year right now personally if that was the real gain. It would be up to the individual to determine whether that's worth it to them or not. My biggest reservation would be the amount of animals I run over.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.