Anybody here haul fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by hamboner, Jan 30, 2013.

1. hamboner

hamboner Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    I am interviewing for a job with an ag supplier here locally and just wondered what some of you guys thought about hauling fertilizer. I will mainly be pulling a tender trailer and operating fertilizer spreaders when they need me to. I am a rookie so, I haven’t pulled any type of trailer other than a van in school.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    You will need a commercial applicators license to apply fertilizer.

Be prepared to be bored. You get to sit in a truck on the side of the road while the floater is in the field.

4. dannythetrucker

dannythetrucker Road Train Member

May 26, 2011
    everywhere, man
    are you talking dry or liquid fertilizer ? I've done a fair bit of both, it was a good gig, some of the stuff smells kind of funny. I had to haul 28% nitrogen in a tanker without baffles for awhile, if you do that try to fill it as close to the top as you can or it will whack you in the back of the head everytime you brake !

hauling out to the applicaters is pretty gravy, when I did it, it seemed like he'd get about three fills off of a semi tanker, but I don't know the volumes you are dealing with. If you do the supply side, hauling from distributers to your plant that can get kind of boring, on that 28% I would haul 4 loads per day for about a month, but about the time I'd get so sick of one thing, the season would change and it would be on to the next. Other thing I remember is getting slloooowwww in the winter, better stack your cheese up in the spring and fall.

5. apyles

apyles Medium Load Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Newbern,Tn
    probably gonna need your hazmat, if you dont already have it

6. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    No, you don't need hazmat to carry most fertilizer. Ammonium nitrate, yeah. But not most normally applied.

keepitsimple Thanks this.
  7. hamboner

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    Its gonna be a year round hourly paid job. I have an associates degree in agriculture, so when I'm not hauling or spreading I will be working in the retail location. In the dead periods I will likely be taking soil samples doing other various tasks. All of the fertilizer at this time is dry fertilizer. I am in the pipeline for my hazmat.

8. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Light Load Member

Aug 2, 2011
    ontario, Canada
    you will not need hazmzt just to haul dry fertilizer. I work for a type og company you described, per hour, over time after 44 hours, and home every night, and no Sundays

hamboner Thanks this.
  9. hamboner

Dec 27, 2007
    West TN
    If I get the hazmat and applicator license it will give me about a $3.00 an hour pay premium.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.