Anybody taken a "CDL Refresher Course" to re-learn how to drive a manual?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BeHereNow97, Oct 16, 2020.

1. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Hey guys, I'm an OTR driver coming up on 2 years experience driving reefer and dry van, all with the same company and all with automatic transmissions. Haven't driven a manual since CDL school when I got my Class A License.

The company I'm with has been real good to me, but I'm thinking it may soon be time to make my next move and advance my career.

I got my CDL Class A License by testing out in a manual, so I don't have a restriction on my license. That said, I was never very good at driving a manual and that was 2 years ago when I was getting practice with it every day for about an hour and a half a day (I have never driven a manual stick shift in a car either).

I was thinking about trying to apply for an LTL company like Old Dominion or Estes running linehaul if I would be so fortunate as to get a job with them. I know I would need to be ready to drive a manual at a moments notice and possibly in mountain terrain too.

I was looking into CDL "refresher courses" around my area. It looks like there's one 3 hours from home, for only 4 days Monday - Friday at a cost of $700 including tuition + misc fees/taxes. Would include pre trip stuff, backing and road driving. I would be going mainly for the road driving in a manual and get all the driving time in that I could get.

Anybody use one of these refresher courses? Did you feel you got your money's worth? Or would it be better off to rent a truck and hire someone for a day or two to ride with me who knows how to drive a manual in a semi-truck? Maybe it would make me more employable to a company if they saw I took initiative to brush up on my driving skills before applying to them?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    The refresher course is recruiter talk that says we will screw you over and make you think your going to get it easier. You might get awat with less time that the other new drivers must learn. Yet dont count on it. What is more important is how much driven time do you have?

It would help if you stated where you are and get the help from @Chinatown

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  4. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Hey Lovesthedrive, thanks for the reply. Did you read my post or perhaps I wasn't clear in my OP? No recruiter is asking me to take a refresher course. I have 2 years driving experience in an automatic but tested/got my CDL Class A in a manual. The Refresher Courses that I'm talking about are run by community colleges. No recruiters are asking me to take one. I was interested in taking one myself because I have not driven a manual in 2 years and I believe that I need a refresher so I can feel safe about driving a stick, especially through the mountains.

Yes, drive time in a manual in whatever refresher course I would take, that's what would be most important to me. I was assuming in my OP that LTL companies like Estes or Old Dominion aren't wanting to go over how to drive a manual, they are going to want you to know that already coming in. Which, I mean, I do, but again, I feel I would need a refresher before driving one again.

Speed_Drums Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    First, call Old Dominion and Estes and ask if they use automatics now.
    I think Estes switched to autos.
    If they use manuals also, then take the refresher course for $700.00 because you won't be able to rent a truck. Penske, Ryder, etc don't rent to individuals unless they have all the business licenses and other credentials, etc.

BeHereNow97 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  6. Whatagal

Whatagal Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2020
    North Texas
    That's what I'm enrolled in right now. Ask questions & get everything in writing. For instance, the trucks we use are only 5-speeds. And we spent only half a day learning to drive them. That is mainly backing & only in a parking lot. Unless one is a real maverick, one won't get out of first gear, ever.
    Also, it's one truck, a dozen students & a long line to have your turn. One student in my class was told that the price included X number of hours backing. Turns out that's the total time we all share. Also, no instructor ever gets in the truck. It's all up to the student.

Chinatown and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    An owner op probably wouldn’t touch you, but those larger companies probably have pallets of trannys laying in the shop, get in an grind em till you find them, and I’m sure you will get a little training when you start to begin with

8. The Crossword Trucker

The Crossword Trucker Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I would be honest and tell whatever company you are looking into exactly what your predicament is.
    You are not the only guy in this boat and more and more drivers have several years in automatics now.
    I ran my first year in a 13 speed and a ten speed.
    After that it was all automatic for my OTR work.
    I got lucky and landed a summer job doing a sort of heavy haul with a lowbed . I told them straight up that I was going to be rough as hell for a week or two.
    They understood and gave me the crappiest truck they had. It was ugly that first week but they were cool about it.

BeHereNow97 and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    To me it really wouldn't be worth it. IF you know how to drive a manual, but its been a while.. I'd just go apply and take the road test and take my chances. These road tests are usually just another "finger wave" in the process of hiring. unless the driver is dangerous and or shows NO sign of knowing how to drive, they normally pass them... if its a new driver.. all bets are off!

BeHereNow97 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.