Anyone drive for Transport America?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by hlaird, Dec 19, 2007.

1. hlaird

hlaird Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Which is apparently different than Trans Am.

I just got done with school and I think I'll go with them.

Here's what I know so far:

Pay:

New driver's start out at .29 cents per mile. .33 after 6 months, but you get three 1 cent bonuses per month for different things. So if you screw up and have an accident you'll lose only one third of the bonus, and only for that month, not this quarterly all or nothing stuff like some companies.

Layover: 150$ after 24 hours
    Detention: 16/ hour after 2 hours
    Stop-Off: 20$
    Unload/Assist: 100$
    Trip Minimum: 70$
    NYC: 100$
    Broader Crossing: $25

Orietentation:

6 days in Scottsburg, IN. Then about 4 weeks on the road with a driving INSTRUCTOR. This means the person training you has the same credentials as your teacher in CDL school. It's not just some random experienced driver. Training pay for orientation and on the road is 350$ a week.

Transportation to and from orientation from your home town is provided for. You're also given 3 meals a day, also provided free hotel.

Tuition reimbursement is between 100-150$ a month depending on what school you went to, up to $5000.

Benefits:

Blue cross/blue shield, paid vacation 1 week after 1 year, 401 K, profit sharing after 1 year, $30,000 life insurance provided BY the company, disability.

If anyone has driven with them and has opinions one way or the other let me know.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grinnbearit

Grinnbearit Bobtail Member

Laird

Do a search on he borads here and there is some good information about Transport America. They were in my top five with TMC and a few others.
    Drive safe.

4. Iraqvet

Iraqvet Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2007
    Ashtabula Ohio
    I can tell you that the orientation was pretty good if you are a new driver.Scottsburg is a cool little town also.But,the driver trainers are just expirienced drivers,not cdl instructors.They send them through a class to be "driver trainers",nothing more.If you wanna drive otr make sure you tell them to give you an otr trainer and not a trainer who drives dedicated.Thats part of the reason I left them.I was goin otr with them and they gave me a trainer who was on a dedicated route.I tried to get off his truck because I wasnt learning anything.All the guy did was comlain about the trip being 4 hours over his drive hours day in day out and how they wouldnt have that account without him because the other drivers wouldnt put their neck on the line for the company like he was.He went on and on forever lol.They told me to stay on his truck another week and they could get me a trainer.Well we went home for the weekend.When i had shown back up at the terminal that sunday night,the guy at the fuel desk said he quit!They said they would find me another trainer,but it could take a month.At that point I had enough and said never mind.If you make it past training,and dont let them tell you to run over your hours,you will be fine there

5. cinjays

cinjays Bobtail Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Lorain, Ohio

Sorry, layover pay is now $75, it was $150 then they cut it last year to $100 and now $75. Trip min is $60 not $70 and its broke down into mileage and the difference. Like if you drove 50 miles to pu the load and drive back that is 100 miles x .29 equal $2.90 and then the rest is the $60

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.