Anyone else dealing with the snow in the NW?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JC1971, Feb 12, 2019.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Central Oregon
    Colder than forecasted with scattered snow showers. Partial clearing for the weekend. Next week teens at night. Run it cool you can't deliver if your in the ditch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Shoot. I just traveled the length of 97 in Oregon tonight. Temperatures were at or just below freezing once I got south of Terrebonne. Down to 23° north of there.

Pavement was mostly bare the entire trip with the only exception being through the town of Moro, but no biggie.
    Some blowing snow came across the road a lot of the way, but it didn't completely cover any stretch of 97.

Going through Redmond to Bend to LaPine was easy. Bare pavement for that particular stretch and temperatures near freezing.

There were highway alert signs warning of black ice south of Crescent, but I didn't have any trouble.

Outside of Shaniko, I saw a tractor trailer that was completely turned over. Don't be a Super Trucker on those curves between Shaniko and the rest stop.

Blowing snow covered most of the road from Chemult to Chiloquin, but I didn't feel any slick spots.

Snow plows were out and about south of Modoc point to just north of Klamath Falls leaving clumps of snow on the road, but it's probably clear by now.

I hope to make it to Visalia tomorrow and reunite myself with my beloved tractor. She didn't want to shut off, and the Peterbilt guy has been working on her since the 8th. Hopefully, he is done.

Lepton1 and Truckermania Thank this.
  4. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I used to drive 97 a lot. Always kept & eye on wind after a big snow event. those trees like to hold a lot of snow & throw up a blanket of white. I also avoided that last stretch between Madres & Biggs at night. Too many fools trying to run you off the hills

Lepton1 and Flat Earth Trucker Thank this.
  5. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    I might be one of those fools then. I passed a YRC double that was going about 30 mph. This YRC driver even had chains on. But I passed on an open stretch, and it was twilight still. 40-45 mph felt like a safe speed to me what with most of the Biggs to Madras stretch being mostly bare pavement.

Tell me if this is one of your pet peeves:
    You're following behind someone who is driving say 55 mph, and you want to drive 60 mph. After many miles of this, you finally happen upon a passing lane, but the 55 mph guy matches your speed not allowing you to pass.

That kind of driving chaps my hide. :mad:

Lepton1 and bigblue19 Thank this.
  6. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    I was concerned with the fools coming at me who couldn't hold their lane in the corners & I got nowhere to go. As far as pet peeve's High beams & fog lights when not foggy. I drove 25yrs without using either. I did have a spotlight I would shine on street signs but you see donuts with LED's using fog lights on a clear night with a full moon these days

7. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    Shoot. With those LED lights and light bars, I don't even like low beams any more. :angry8:

mtoo Thanks this.
  8. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Ya that was FUBAR like a MF. I did the same thing dropped down from Spokane thinking I could go around Snoqualmie on 84. Ended up sitting for 17 hours. Bunch of idiots refusing to put on chains until OSP finally started dragging drivers out of their trucks to put chains on.

Attached Files:

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    This nightmare never ends. I finally unload in the City of Industry and then part of the Grapevine is shut down.

So I u-turn and go up 14 to 58. Well, Tehachapi is iced over and there is another @#$!! wreck backing up traffic.
    Screw it! I'm going shut down early.
    When I get going again, there yet another wreck on the hill going west on 58 towards Bakersfield.

Is there anyone in California who knows how to drive a car in adverse weather?

InTooDeep and Lepton1 Thank this.
  10. RollinThunderVet

RollinThunderVet Heavy Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Is there anyone in California who knows how to drive a car in adverse weather?
    Hahahahaha..... nope.

InTooDeep and Lepton1 Thank this.
  11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Took me about 6 hours to drive the 240 miles from Fernley to Modesto Monday afternoon (Presidents Day long weekend). No chain requirements and beautiful weather and roads. Just too many people trying to occupy the same road at the same time, I guess.

Nothing but slow and go traffic for 30+ miles
    SAM_9472.jpg

SAM_9473.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.