Anyone ever picked up a hitchhiker? Any stories.

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by senelcoolidge, Oct 6, 2018.

1. senelcoolidge

senelcoolidge Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2018
    central florida
    Any hitch hiker stories.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I don't believe in that anymore. The risks are too great.

There isnt any stories to tell, except that the few we helped out were more of a problem than it was worth in many ways. We pretty much stopped that practice around 1992, long ago.

4. BigBob410

BigBob410 Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Beirut on the Bay, MD.
    There is already a thread on this with some good stories. The search bar is your friend. :D

MagnumaMoose Thanks this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I picked up a hitchhiker once when I was 17.

Driving down a back road near home, in an area that's predominantly white folks. I see this dude walking along the road, he was Korean I think. I thought it was kind of odd, but, nevertheless, when he flagged me down, I stopped. He asks me if I could give him a lift to a town 10 miles away. I figure no big deal, and he's offering gas money, something every broke 17 year old lives for.

We drive up to the town, pull in front of a house, he says " just keep the truck running, I'll be right back, and you can take me back where you picked me up".

He runs in the house, comes out a minute or so later, and we drive back to where I pick him up. As he's bailing out of my truck, I ask for my gas money. (I noticed he had a was of cash he was counting) "Stop back in half an hour and I'll pay you" he says. Being young and dumb, and having other things to do, I agree.

I go back half hour later, he comes out of the house where I dropped him off, and asks if I could haul a television to Harrisburg, 30 miles away. Offers me $100. By this point, I figured something was off, so I took the money right away.

He and his buddy load the TV, and we commence down the road. They're over in the passenger side talking quietly, about a pawn shop. Now I'm thinking something is way wrong, but who am I to judge?

We get to Harrisburg, go into the worst section of town, and come to a red light. I was barely stopped and people came out from every corner. Next thing I know, the two that were in my truck are bailing out, jumping in the bed, and unloading the TV. Then everyone disappeared.

I had my money, so I figured I'd better get out of there.

So I get back into my home area, and I see a cop following me. He flips the lights on, pulls me over. He comes up, asks if I know anything about a stolen TV. I told him ''no, but I just hauled a TV for two dudes to Harrisburg, but I don't think it was stolen". He asks me to follow him to the house we picked the TV up from.

The rightful owner was there, obviously upset. I explained everything to him, he agreed to not have me arrested as long as I would appear as a witness in court. I agreed, and went on my way.

Then, I get a subpoena in the mail. I go to court, everyone involved was there. The TV owner, the Korean, and his buddy, the cop, and me.

Turns out, the Korean just was released from jail on drug charges. He was staying at the TV owners house until he could find a place. His buddy came around, they decided to go get high one more time, for old times sake. But with no money, they had no drugs.

That's when they flagged me down. I drove the Korean to his parents house, where he stole their cash. Then we went back, and he stole the TV. I was the transportation to the pawn shop.

He got sent back to jail, I missed a day of school for the court case. Which I made good use of after court, I was dating a girl who'd graduated the previous year. We spent the rest of the day at her parents place alone. That was the only time I smoked cigarettes in my life. And there were a few smoked that day.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    homeskillet and bzinger Thank this.
  6. Hegemeister

Hegemeister Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It is illegal to transport passengers unless the driver has written approval from the entity holding the authority and it must identify the passenger.

7. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Unless it is an emergency, and all the dot generally does is ask if you have permission. You don't have to have the permission in the truck, it has to be at the office, and it is rare for them to call in and ask the company, but they will occasionally if they think something is not right,

A couple of years back I picked up a college kid from England up by Galbreth. He was taking a year off and checking out the world, and had flew over here and was just hitchhicking around, seeing the sights.
    Along the way he started telling me that the ice road truckers show was popular in Europe, and ask me if I had ever run it. I told him he was on it and he said yea, but have you ever run it. lol I had to explain that this was the ice road that they showed on tv, this is what it looks like in the summer time. lol We got into prudhoe and I dropped my trailer and grabbed an empty, and ask where he wanted out. he ask what I suggested, so I told him there was a couple of different camps that he could get coffee at, and he could get breakfast at them if he wanted too, but that would be a couple of hours before they serve breakfast. he then ask what sights I suggested he see, and I said you have seen them, you are at the end of the line.lol Now he ask what I was going to do, and I told him I am going back to cold foot and taking a nap, so he ask If I would let him ride back to there. yep sure thing.
    He mentioned later, that if he had flown into prudhoe instead of anchorage he would have been disappointed. lol

8. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Another time I was at Meziad junction headed back to the states when a snowplow flagged me down and ask if I could give a guy a ride to a town some where. the guy was from Ottawa and hitch hiking around, he had been picked up by a trucker and went to sleep. The trucker didn't wake him up till he got to US customs at Hyder Alaska. The guy had on slacks, a light shirt and a light weight leather jacket. some where in his travels he had lost his wallet and id, and his duffel bag. lol He couldn't cross into Alaska in the truck, and they wouldn't let him walk across with no ID, so was screwed and started walking back. It was winter and 20 below or so, the snow plow driver said he was about froze when he found him, I let him out at the bus station in prince george, he claimed he would get some money wired to him and go home to ottawa, and give up this adventure. lol

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.