Anyone got a ticket,,,

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Infosaur, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

For a logbook violation and pled not guilty because of software issues?

Somebody's gotta try this in court.
    Set precedent.

We do everything expected of us to stay compliant, and then the software goes south and I've gotta spend an hour on the phone debugging it.

They STILL don't staff tech support on the weekends! Can we just NOT use logs on a Sunday?!?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    It's going to happen sooner or later. I can't find the article now, but one article I read not to long ago. The article was about one of the midwest states (Iowa maybe?) stating that as policy they will not recognize paper logs for a broken ELD.

Judging from the posts here, and the number of drivers who keep a "broken" ELD around so they can still cheat on paper logs I gotta wonder if that policy might become the norm.

06driver Thanks this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I can’t remember if it was cdl life or one of the other ones like it, but they had a article about Cali not accepting paper logs.

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    062 and Swiss Mountain Dog Thank this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    So you are in violation if ELOG not working so basically you are stuck until you get it fixed or violate the laws of the state. Lovely, reason #12,987 I won't haul into the USA:D

TopDog20 and maninthemoon1 Thank this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Elog goes down then you need to get a copy of the last 8 days and run paper? You should be able to get the past days emaied or faxed to you somehow. You can't just switch to paper without a record of previous "history" or you will fail.

Number9 Thanks this.
  8. Infosaur

So if you're in a situation like me, where it's 8am on a Sunday morning and you've got to cover 300 miles but your logbook crapped out two states back (in this case I hadn't had an "event" in 150 miles.) I guess have the truck towed back to the last spot it was registering properly and send Rand the bill for towing.

Somebody's gonna lose their license over these software bugs and shoot up an office somewhere. Calling it now.

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  9. Infosaur

Oh and one more thing,

We're supposed to sign our logs when we certify them right?

But in a situation where we KNOW the log is incorrect we're basically committing perjury. My boss flips out when I do it, but if there's a discrepancy I note it on the sig line. I'd like to take THAT to a judge too!

rabbiporkchop and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    All you need it get is a copy of you logs. They should be backed up, then get out your paper log book and keep on trucking. I think you have 8 days to get it fixed

BUMBACLADWAR Thanks this.
  11. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    I figure that nothing will be designed to work very well for drivers when at the same time they are working on automating trucks, which of course further justifies using those, because drivers just can't seem to function with their hands tied. But I digress.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.