Anyone here driving otr for American Furniture Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by Pianoman, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Pianoman

Pianoman Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hey all, new to the forum. I have an interview with AFW tomorrow morning and am trying to get some inside perspective from any drivers that work or have worked for them recently. I haven't had much luck finding a whole lot of info about them online so hopefully that means their current drivers are pretty happy.

The info I know so far:
    - pay starting at .38/mile with stop pay
    - drivers out of Denver run southeast US and occasionally north, no east coast
    - home weekly, park in Englewood, CO
    - average 2800 miles/wk according to hiring manager
    - sick pay/vacation, PTO--vacation starts accumulating after 90 days
    - Full benefits starting after 60 days--various plans with Kaiser and Etna

I forgot to ask about APUs or inverters in trucks while on the phone--I am pretty sure they run APUs on their trucks.

If anyone here works for them, how do you like it? Do they actually get you home every weekend? How many miles do you run/are you able to run more than average if you show you can hustle? Any amenities in trucks? Governed speed?

Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. me myself and I

me myself and I Heavy Load Member

Oct 5, 2009
    vernon hills,Il
    They seem to be flying by me when in on I-70 in Kansas. But 38cpm? Are things really that bad in CO?

bzinger Thanks this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    @Bud A. , any info? ^^^ ;)

Is bedbugging something you really want to do, physically, though? Or is it mostly just drop and hook...? Just wondering.

Wish I had any more info; hopefully somebody will stop by with some details for ya, man.

Welcome to TTR....it's about time, man!

Bud A. and bzinger Thank this.
  5. Bud A.

Bud A. Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Mountain Time
    I don't know anything about what it's like to drive for them. They're huge, I know that. See their trucks in Denver a lot, of course, since that's where the mothership is.

I would ask if you're unloading or if they have lumpers or if the places you're delivering to unload. Moving furniture can be tough.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  6. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats on your new gig, man.... sounds awesome! (I read that 'elsewhere' btw~!) ;)

7. Pianoman

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hey thanks Tomcat! Sorry I missed all these replies...

So which one are you? Haha. I don't recognize you from "elsewhere" ;)

aztruckerr and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm nobody over there; just read only. Been driving before the regs, don't have much advice for newer people...(well, none that wouldn't tee off the big boys, LoL!) I know Pat and Bud through here, and follow them over there as well. (Pat M. is cnsper here, btw...same avatar~!)

I'm not an O/O but more of an I/C for a small company that hauls mostly asphalt, dedicated and local, here in Ohio.

It sure does sound like you got yourself a sweet deal, though....I know you really gave your prior employer many opportunities to accommodate you.

Best of luck with AFW, sounds awesome! Stop by more often; me and a few of the guys have a Garage, Beer, and Offtime thread in the "social" forum, if you're ever bored or just wanna shout out, LoL~!

Be safe man,
    Tom.

9. Pianoman

Mar 14, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Oh ok right on man. Yeah it was mostly a financial decision, although there were a couple of other factors as well. Either way, I kind of fell into this gig. I had no idea what they were like until they called me up and gave me the interview. There's an opportunity to make some decent money here because of the way they run and the additional pay they offer for additional stops and safety bonuses. Anyways I'm happy I found them and I plan on staying for a long time as long as I'm in this field. Thanks so much for the well wishes! If I ever find myself in Ohio I'll give you a shout!

Need4Speed and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. G13Tomcat

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Congrats again, man. On the last sentence, please do!

Ttys,
    Tom

Pianoman Thanks this.
  11. gpf87

gpf87 Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Lol , governed speed ? I'd say mach1 . Those are the fastest big company trucks on the road I don't think they're governed at all

I had one go by me about 3 years ago at 89mph in New mexico on flat ground

I know most of them are team trucks out of Denver or Gilbert Az, solo thing must be new ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.