Anyone here familiar with driving a bus?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MGE Dawn, Jan 10, 2021.

1. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    So my unit's sending me to go do a check ride on a school bus in the morning, and even though I've told my leadership that I don't have a passenger endorsement and I've never driven a bus in my life, they keep insisting I don't need to attend the full class prior to testing out to have it added to my military license, solely based on the fact that I hold a CDL, any CDL.

I respect the fact that a bus is a completely different story from a big truck, and I know I'm out of my depth here... but I have until the morning to learn enough not to wreck it during the check ride. So I'm humbly asking for help... if anyone here is familiar with handling a bus, be it motor coach or school bus, I'd greatly appreciate any advice and teachings you can offer. Looking to focus primarily on the differences in handling from a truck, and also the changes I need to make to my pretrip inspection (which they're also testing on tomorrow).

Thanks in advance!

Flat Earth Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    Pre trip is mainly the same.
    Verify all heaters function.
    Verify all emergency exits function, and alarm sounds when opened (key must be in run or acc)
    Make sure the door emergency release functions.

As for handling, need to square off your corners more, stick the nose out as far as you can and watch the inside mirror to ensure the inside drive tires don't ride the curb/lampost/pedestrian.

beastr123, 88 Alpha, OldeSkool and 4 others Thank this.
  4. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    There is tail swing....

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
  5. Flint1

Flint1 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2019
    Alberta
    Yup, don't forget about the big a#$!

Trucker61016 and MGE Dawn Thank this.
  6. Hyweighman

Hyweighman Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    What he said. I say drive it like you stole it.
    Seriously good luck.

MGE Dawn Thanks this.
  7. slow pok

slow pok Light Load Member

Oct 27, 2013
    lizela ga
  8. Colt6920

Colt6920 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2017
    The ones that look like city buses with the flat face or the ones that look like moving trucks?
    The truck based ones will be just like driving a box truck but with a longer tail.
    The flat face transit type, remember that your steers are sitting behind you. You'll feel like you are pulling a lot further out into an intersection before you crank the wheel as opposed to a truck. (If you've ever driven a cabover or class A RV it's a lot like that) Also some of the fluid check points and other pretrip stuff may be hidden behind various access panels, especially on front engine buses with the grill in the front and the doghouse next to the driver's seat.
    Relax, and remember there are literally thousands of AARP members with no trucking experience and random people who have never driven anything other than a Prius out there behind the wheel of RV's and rental trucks that are basically buses. You'll be fine, if you just study the pretrip.

ETA: There's some school bus specific knowledge and procedures as well. Mostly relates to procedures to keep passengers safe, how and when to use lights, the stop sign, and front crossing arm if equipped, how where and when to discharge passengers, what to to in an emergency, etc. Also, you must stop at all railroad crossings and I believe open the door to listen. But the "technical" part of driving like handling and maneuvering you should be fine.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
  10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    thought yall didnt need anything

11. MGE Dawn

MGE Dawn Road Train Member

May 19, 2019
    Vancouver, WA
    Not really sure what you mean by that... care to clarify?
    Flat-face variety. They're your standard Bluebird 44-pax school bus

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.