Anyone here gotten the stomach balloon inserted for weight loss?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Farmerbob1, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    I've heard about this procedure, and the fact that it doesn't require knives or needles makes it very interesting.

Has anyone here had a stomach balloon inserted to help weight loss, and, if so, were you able to drive with it?

I'm carrying around far more weight than is healthy, even if it doesn't slow me down much, it's only a matter of time (as I approach 50 years old in the next few years) before the extra weight starts to cause real issues with bones, joints, etc.

I have been able to lose weight here and there on the road, but I find it #### hard to keep to a diet on the road.

So, anyone here have a balloon inserted in your stomach? How did it go? Were you allowed to drive? Would you suggest not driving, even if allowed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    So you want just to insert balloon and keep the same diet?

4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Might want to try a good Ketogenic diet first, Go to Letstruck.com and Kevin Rutherford has some good ways to get started.

otterinthewater Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will want to double check altitude with that Balloon. If it's inserted at sea level and you cross Eisenhower west of Denver at 11800 feet or whatever it is at way up there, it might be painful from expansion.

Any stress from being in battle might have no place for that acid to go and there you go down on your knees puking.

I hate to be difficult but street food, truckstop serve yourself foods and so on is among the worst ever for someone trying to lose weight.

Im working on losing three little pounds to get below 195 and I find that I have to eat very little. No more than 1000 calories of protein a day. That's really tough.

Nothing in this post or my attitude about weight in general is to be taken as bad. I come from a family of very large people. And some did not make it to 40 before they were killed by heart failure system wide etc.

6. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    I'm against the balloon thing, If you want to be healthy than I say give up OTR gig and find something local or regional.
    Since I gave it up I'm 49 pounds lighter and my blood pressure was 117 over 73 a few minutes ago.
    Parking in the back of the parking lot and walking that little bit just doesn't help much.
    But then there are OTR drivers that can stay in shape,

Oldironfan and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    What I eat isn't too terrible. I just eat too much of it.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  8. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    When I do lose weight, I use a ketogenic diet. But I can't keep myself on one for more than a month or so.

9. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    If you have insurance, try looking at the band or whatever it's called. Also there is gastric bypass, but that seems like it takes to much of your natural stuff.
    I need to figure out a diet as well. And smoking is the worst of two evils.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Coffee seems to curb hunger. Maybe get some decaf so you can still sleep at night.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  11. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I would think going on a soup diet would be easier. Consuming only home made soup containing proper nutritional ingredients is very effective. I know folks who have done this and lost substantial amount of weight. Soup, fruit, water and black coffee

magoo68 and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.